Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deleting everything on my jailbroken iPhone 3gs

Default Deleting everything on my jailbroken iPhone 3gs
    I am buying an iPhone 4, and selling my iPhone 3GS to put money towards it. I have a buyer but i promised him I would sell it to him jailbroken and unlocked. Which is not a problem as it already is. However I want to delete all the content including apps and settings before I give it to him. I have an iPhone 3GS 32 gb firmware 4.01, baseband 05.13.04 old bootrom. Which i jailbroke with jailbreakme and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I know I can update to 4.1 and jailbreak, but I can not unlock because the baseband updates. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. HELP!!!

Can't you just go to settings - general - reset all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phatcamaro View Post
    Can't you just go to settings - general - reset all
    Noooooooooooo! BIG no-no. You'd be forced to restore after that.

You can upgrade to 4.1 via custom firmware (PwnageTool for Mac); the phone will be freshly restored and since it's custom firmware, the baseband update will be removed and you'll still be able to unlock.

If you don't have a Mac, is your 3GS on an old or new bootrom?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    Noooooooooooo! BIG no-no. You'd be forced to restore after that.

You can upgrade to 4.1 via custom firmware (PwnageTool for Mac); the phone will be freshly restored and since it's custom firmware, the baseband update will be removed and you'll still be able to unlock. ...
    +1. Use PwnageTool 4.1.2 from a Mac. It will preserve your existing baseband. Then load ultrasnow with Cydia and you're set No need to re-connect or sync to iTunes after it's restored so anything/everything is new, updated and unlocked.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you don't have a Mac use Sn0wbreeze. Pwnagetool and Sn0wbreeze are the only way to update to 4.1 and preserve baseband. If you have your SHSHs, you can also shift+restore to the stock 4.0.1 fw with TinyUmbrella's TSS server running and then use Limera1n or jailbreakme to jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 (the latest) has a couple of problems. Among the problems, YouTube doesn't work (but it can be fixed -- google). Hopefully sn0wbreeze will be updated with all the appropriates files from PwnageTool 4.1.2.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's not just sn0wbreeze. It's hacktivating in general. PwnageTool allows hacktivating as does Limera1n and Greenpois0n. These all produce possible problems if hacktivating is used rather than using and official SIM to activate.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Anniex.... Not sure what your point was. If your point was that --all-- jb'ing creates problems --- I disagree. What jb'ing does is open the door and allow the user to mess it up (haha)

My comment to dotFIVE was that using PwnageTool provides the latest technique to jb on 4.1 with the fewest (if any) problems for hactivated phones.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-10-31 at 06:57 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

My point was a sn0wbreeze update wouldn't eliminate the issues that could occur such as push and YouTube not working. All methods used that can apply hacktivating including Pwnagetool can cause these problems. My biggest point is, people who wanna avoid these problems should get an official carrier's SIM to manually activate. Regardless of which tool is used, if using a SIM to activate will eliminate any of the above mentioned issues. It's not really the jailbreaking that causes the problem but rather the hacktivation.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. I've always 'activated' with PwnageTool (for T-Mobile) instead of using an official SIM (which I also have) and never experienced any problems (I think). However, next time I think I'll try your method. Use my official carrier SIM to activate, disable the PwnageTool 'activate' option and see what happens.

Default no mac
    I do not have a mac so i can not use pawnage tool. also sn0wbreeze requires me to use a patch called spirit2pwn which is not working. I think because repo.woowiz.net is down for repairs.
    By the way the phone is old bootrom.

I also here that sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 is causing alot of problems for iphone 3gs on 4.0.1. Also how do i know if I have my shsh blobs saved it no longer appears in cydia

Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akmaroc View Post
    ... Also how do i know if I have my shsh blobs saved it no longer appears in cydia

Thank you
    Use Tiny Umbrella.
    The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akmaroc View Post
    I do not have a mac so i can not use pawnage tool. also sn0wbreeze requires me to use a patch called spirit2pwn which is not working. I think because repo.woowiz.net is down for repairs.
    By the way the phone is old bootrom.

I also here that sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 is causing alot of problems for iphone 3gs on 4.0.1. Also how do i know if I have my shsh blobs saved it no longer appears in cydia

Thank you
    Sn0wbreeze doesn't really cause problems, it's the hacktivation. Any type of hacktivation by any tool will cause problems. If you can't install Spirit2Pwn, you can't use custom firmwares. You'd have to have SHSHs to restore to 3.1.2 and use Blackra1n to jailbreak then you can use custom firmwares. Or you could if you have SHSHs for any of the iOS 4, you can restore to it and use Limera1n.

Talking All Done. Thank you
    Thanking everyone for their help. I restored to 4.0 using tiny umbrella then jailbroke using jailbreakme. Easy after all. Don't know why i didn't think about it. Suppose because I had not used tiny umbrella before. Thanking everyone again