Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Preparing to install error 2001

Default Preparing to install error 2001
    I'm getting error 2001 when I try to restore my iPhone 3G. Yes I've searched around Google before posting here. I've seen a lot of different answers to solve this error, but none of them have worked. My USB is directly plugged into my iMac. My iMac is fully up to date; Snow Leopard, iTunes, Quicktime etc. I've restarted my Phone about 10 times now and can't even put it into DFU Mode.

iPhone 3G
    Running 4.1, but stuck in recovery and not activated.
    Unable to put into DFU mode!

Any ideas?

Thanks

How are you unable to put the iPhone into DFU mode?
    8GB iPod Touch 4G: iOS 4.1, jailbroken with Limera1n.
    Dell Studio 1555: 2.20 GHz Pentium Dual-Core 250 GB HD, 3 GB RAM, 15.6 display, DVD/CD burner, Windows 7.

What's that message that shows on the phone's screen when it's in recovery?

I was starting to think there was something wrong with PwnageTool 4.1, 4.1.1 & 4.1.2 last night cuz I couldn't get the successful DFU mode screen. It would stop at 6 seconds of the countdown of just holding the home button (same place it goes into DFU) and just sit there until I force quit it. I only got the unsuccessful screen once, and that was my fault for slipping on the sleep button. Other than that it just hung up as soon as the phone was in DFU (which led to MANY failed restores).

Side note: Why the hell can't an old bootrom 3G[S] be restored with a custom 4.1 without going into DFU? Like it used to be. Whatever happened to the pwn train or whatever they called it?