Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So Apple's multitasking is automatic? Doesn't mean apps have to be manually killed?

Exclamation So Apple's multitasking is automatic? Doesn't mean apps have to be manually killed?
    Don't know about other devices, but on the 3G multitasking is automatic for all apps. Every time I want to actually kill an app, I have to open up the dock drawer and tap the minus sign.

I don't want to disable multitasking completely by editing N82AP.plist, but rather disable automatic multitasking. I want apps to actually close like they used to on previous iPhone OS versions, not secretly run in the background and leech RAM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

You can get a package from Cydia called "disable multitasking for iPhone 3GS/4". Not sure if it's on Modmyi's repo, but it's on Sinfuliphone repo (not sure if I'm allowed to mention that).

Or just get SwitcherPlus or RemoveBackground so you can close all apps at once. I use SwitcherPlus and it's perfect, means you can do your stuff, then close everything with one touch after your done.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darlyn View Post
    Don't know about other devices, but on the 3G multitasking is automatic for all apps. Every time I want to actually kill an app, I have to open up the dock drawer and tap the minus sign.

I don't want to disable multitasking completely by editing N82AP.plist, but rather disable automatic multitasking. I want apps to actually close like they used to on previous iPhone OS versions, not secretly run in the background and leech RAM.
    According to developer Chpwn, the way it works is just fine. Unused RAM are wasted RAM and the OS will take RAM from unused apps when it needs it. No need for all the backgrounded app killers.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    According to developer Chpwn, the way it works is just fine. Unused RAM are wasted RAM and the OS will take RAM from unused apps when it needs it. No need for all the backgrounded app killers.
    More free RAM = faster response times. I don't know about you, but when I swipe across SBSettings, I'd prefer to see 300MB+ available memory rather than 100MB. If I keep a lot of apps open in the task switcher, the phones starts to become a little sluggish (if I keep big games etc open). So I'll have to disagree with you there and say there is need for killing background apps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    More free RAM = faster response times. I don't know about you, but when I swipe across SBSettings, I'd prefer to see 300MB+ available memory rather than 100MB. If I keep a lot of apps open in the task switcher, the phones starts to become a little sluggish (if I keep big games etc open). So I'll have to disagree with you there and say there is need for killing background apps.
    I'm just repeating the words of a developer. I feel he knows more than you or I. Think about, what is RAM good for if it's not used? RAM doesn't take up anything, it's just there. Not using CPU cycles and not using any more battery than if it were empty.

Thanks

I'm just repeating the words of a developer. I feel he knows more than you or I. Think about, what is RAM good for if it's not used? RAM doesn't take up anything, it's just there. Not using CPU cycles and not using any more battery than if it were empty.
    I'm not trying to get at you dude, I'm just saying having more free memory is better than less. Having 300MB of ram is better than 1MB. I'm not super technical but I just know that free ram is better than no ram lol.

I find it more convenient to just pull up SBSettings, click Processes, and kill everything that shows up in there that I don't want running. Then click Free Up Memory after. If that doesn't bring me back to ~100-120MB free memory (I'm on a 3G[S]), then I'll do a quick respring.

And I agree with you, regardless of what devs say. I have seen my phone get down into the single digits of available memory, and it's like using a netbook with Windows 7 Ultimate on it with all the Aero bells and whistles turned on.

Thanks

When I had my iPhone 3G, when the memory on that went below 20MB or so, it was slow as hell. Thats the only reason why I keep saying more available/free ram is better - faster loading, response times etc.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    When I had my iPhone 3G, when the memory on that went below 20MB or so, it was slow as hell. Thats the only reason why I keep saying more available/free ram is better - faster loading, response times etc.
    The OS has been updated since. It's actually shutting down programs when it needs RAM, it wasn't doing that before.

Why would 300MB free RAM be better than 1MB? All of it is unused. Try turning it around. Is 100GB free RAM better than 10GB? I mean, sure, it's not worse, but then again it's not better either.

The OS has been updated since. It's actually shutting down programs when it needs RAM, it wasn't doing that before.

Why would 300MB free RAM be better than 1MB? All of it is unused. Try turning it around. Is 100GB free RAM better than 10GB? I mean, sure, it's not worse, but then again it's not better either.
    I'm running 4.1 on a 3G and it most definitely is not killing applications when it needs more RAM. Once the free RAM dips below 20MB, like Funky said, the processes drag on for ages.
    Last edited by darlyn; 2010-10-26 at 06:10 AM.

Default mutlitasking
    i just find it anoying having to deal with my phone ram going so down, it gets to a point where the phone becomes so lagy cuz all the ram is been used by programs that im not even using anymore.

i was able to disable multitasking with the modmyi twick but it wont work on my iphone 4 each time i install it it just goes into save mode unlike on my iphone 3gs

Go get SwitcherPlus from cydia, this allows closing all your running apps at once or all but certain apps that you want always tuning like Game Center or Camera or even a Game

To activate tap the home button 3 times or hold your fingering on multitasking apps see pic, 3GS 16gig 4.1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg