Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Generic Info for using AppBackup from Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Generic Info for using AppBackup from Cydia
    OK, I recently used greenpoison to jailbreak my iphone4. After restoring all my iTunes apps using AppBackup, I noticed that it does not play very well if you try to backup your files again. I will go into detail below.
    ***NOTE, THIS IS IF YOU DECIDED TO SETUP YOUR DEVICE AS NEW, AND NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP***

Before you attempt a jailbreak (if your device is currently already jailbroken) you need to go into Cydia and download AppBackup. You will also need OpenSSH in order to retrieve the backed up files after you, well, back them up.

Once installed, launch the application and you will see all of your Apps downloaded from the App Store listed. You have the option to either update ALL of the listed applications, or tap the ones you want.

If no previous backup is present, it will say either "Backup" or "Cancel". Obviously you want to backup.

Once you have backed up all of your desired Apps, you want to SSH into your device and navigate to "/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/" and copy the entire AppBackup directory to your computer.

Go through and update and jailbreak your device choosing your desired method.

Resync or redownload all of the Apps you had from the AppStore. Launch Cydia (after Cydia does its required updates) and reinstall OpenSSH and then AppBackup.

Reboot your device if Cydia doesn't for you, and then SSH to "/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/" again. Replace the AppBackup directory that is on your device, with the one you copied before you upgraded/restored.

Launch AppBackup, and restore your desired Apps.

Once they have restored, you will need to SSH into your device again and navigate to "/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/AppBackup" (yes, into the AppBackup directory) and delete the directory and two other files in the directory.

If you do not do the above step, AppBackup will crash if you try to backup an App that already has a backup from before you upgraded or restored.

I apologize if I confused anyone, please let me know if you have any questions.

***AGAIN, THIS IS IF YOU DECIDED TO SETUP YOUR DEVICE AS NEW, AND NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP***
    Last edited by PSYC0TIC ONE; 2010-10-22 at 08:42 AM.
    2012 B8 Audi //S4
    -Cliff
    [CENTER]DISCLAIMER: ASSUME THE ABOVE WAS POSTED AS A SMART A55 COMMENT UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED