Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help sharing iTunes library between work and home

My iPhone is a Part of Me headcheese's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Need help sharing iTunes library between work and home
    So I have looked all over the web, and found lots of advice regarding having your iTunes library on an external hard drive and sharing between networked computers at home, but nothing about 2 computers in separate locations.

I have my entire iTunes library on an external hard drive- music, video, books, apps, everything. I plug it into my laptop at home and use that as my library in iTunes. I thought that by plugging in that same hard drive, and pointing iTunes at work to the same folder, that it would allow me to have identical libraries in 2 places. This is not the case. I also did a "shift/click", to point iTunes at work to the existing "iTunes Library.itl" that is on my external hard drive, and that won't work.

What am I missing here? I basically want to seamlessly be able to sync things on and off my iPhone 4 regardless of being at work or home.

Thanks guys!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

wouldnt you just need to sign in to itunes at work. and why not just have all the raw music on the drive and you can use it any where. and you can not synce iphones to more than one computer the last i knew
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

My iPhone is a Part of Me headcheese's Avatar
    Thanks

No that's not the case unfortunately. I mean I have my iTunes account signed in at work but that has nothing to do with the physical files themselves as far as I can see.

And I think that you can sync your iPhone in more than one location? I feel like if you can on a shared computer on a network that you should be able to on two separate computers as long as the libraries are identical?

I of course could be wrong

Anyone else? Can this be done successfully?

Did I post this in the wrong forum?
    Last edited by headcheese; 2010-10-21 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Not to sure if this will help, I seem to remember that you have to authorise each computer to be used with iTunes, go to the top left hand corner of iTunes, go to store, click authorise this computer.
    Hope thi does help.