Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Other" takes up huge space

Default "Other" takes up huge space
    [SOLVED: READ DOWN FOR SOLUTION]

Hi

Got a problem with the free space on my iPhone. For some reason "Other" (orange in the picture) has gotten huge and now takes up all the free space. It is now 1,32 GB on my 8 GB phone.

So I wonder, how should I find out what takes up all the space or what I should do? Think this happened when I synced while in Installer yesterday and it took up all free space.

Please help me.
    Last edited by bt86bt; 2008-03-19 at 01:54 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

"Other" is all of the 3rd party applications that youve installed, you know, the ones apple doesnt want you to have. Thats why it's marked as "other", because itunes doesnt really know what the hell all those things are.

To clear this up, i suggest using BossTool, a tool that relocates your iphones apps and fonts to another directory to free up space.

You could also just delete unnesasary apps, any movies you dont watch, or any songs you dont listen to.

This is why i bought a 16g iPhone =]

Well yeah the songs and videos are not the problem. It is that Other takes up 1,32 GB for no apperent reason.

I have tried BossTool now with no change in my space. Other now takes up 1,42 GB. Guess I have to restore the phone Shame since I have done some things through SSH that I now need to do again.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

my other takes up 966.6. I think this is pretty normal if you have a lot of apps.

try deleted all the themes you dont use if you need to save space
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Hmm removed all my skins, made no difference.

I use snes4iphone, colloQ and SMBPrefs. They shouldn't use so much space Oh and BossTool say I have 115 + 200 MB free but iTunes say I have 26 MB free.

Edit: Found it! Checked through SSH randomly and finally found /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs with two 500 mb files. Forgot to take screenshot

Cleared the folder and the thumbs dissapeared (as I expected) then removed all pictures via itunes and then added them again. Now the biggest file is only 118 MB (I have 193 pictures).

My total "Other" is now from 1,32 GB to 372 MB and all my pictures have thumbs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bt86bt For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (2008-08-19)

Quote Originally Posted by bt86bt View Post
    Hmm removed all my skins, made no difference.

I use snes4iphone, colloQ and SMBPrefs. They shouldn't use so much space Oh and BossTool say I have 115 + 200 MB free but iTunes say I have 26 MB free.

Edit: Found it! Checked through SSH randomly and finally found /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs with two 500 mb files. Forgot to take screenshot

Cleared the folder and the thumbs dissapeared (as I expected) then removed all pictures via itunes and then added them again. Now the biggest file is only 118 MB (I have 193 pictures).

My total "Other" is now from 1,32 GB to 372 MB and all my pictures have thumbs
    wow, this actually seems like a solution to this problem. one of the files was almost 500mb for me. i'm testing out your theory right now to see what happens...

ahhh... crap. when itunes "deleted" the photos... it didnt really delete anything. it just added the "photos" space to the "other" space and now i'm screwed again. let's see what i can do...

yeah, i'm not sure what to do now. it seems to me that this memory issue does have to deal with photos. when i originally deleted those thumbs, itunes showed my an amount of "other" space that seemed to make sense. but when i tried to delete the photos... that's when it got screwed up again. now, there is no "photos" folder anymore, but it still thinks space is taken up by photos.

any ideas on what to do from here (without restoring)? i'm stumped.
    Last edited by billchase2; 2008-08-19 at 01:41 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Default solution to clear 'other space'
    I found the solution on another site - works a treat.
    Go to User - Media - iTunes_Control and delete it. The 'other' space empties. Resync and your music is back. Nothing else is lost or changed.

Of course you need to use the iphone browser.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nabils View Post
    I found the solution on another site - works a treat.
    Go to User - Media - iTunes_Control and delete it. The 'other' space empties. Resync and your music is back. Nothing else is lost or changed.

Of course you need to use the iphone browser.

Tried this and no go for me when
    i resync it comes back. damn

someone help me remove "other" sh*t

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Also you want to make sure you restore between firmwares. If you upgrade, when you go to jailbreak it doesnt write over all the other files. Hence you will have left over waste.