Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgraded to 4.1, now iFile shows duplicate Themes, Wallpaper, Applications, etc folders

Cool Upgraded to 4.1, now iFile shows duplicate Themes, Wallpaper, Applications, etc folders
    I recently upgraded to iOS4.1 and jailbroke my device using Greenpois0n. I noticed my available GB dropped from about 13 to 7.5. I tried to look into it to see why the storage had dropped so much and saw in iFile under /var/stash everything listed there is duplicated. Like this:

-Applications
    -Applications.9FFP
    -include
    -include.FtSM
    -libexec
    -libexec.3bf8
    -pam
    -pam.XdoQ
    -Wallpaper
    -Wallpaper.TTBU

When looking at each folder it looks like the second of the two is the one being used (Under themes, the second Themes folder has my more recent up to date downloaded/deleted themes). Could I delete each of the first folders and rename the duplicates to just Applications, include, libexec, etc. or would that cause problems on my phone? I am guessing that this is why my storage was reduced so much, as each theme/app is listed once in each folder.
    Last edited by seamariners85; 2010-10-19 at 08:13 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You should never upgrade between firmwares when you're a jailbreaker. Always choose the restore option. Otherwise you get left over files.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

seamariners85 (2010-10-20)

Thank you dhamien - Would you recommend restoring through iTunes and restarting, or could I just delete the first set of duplicated files?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seamariners85 View Post
    Thank you dhamien - Would you recommend restoring through iTunes and restarting, or could I just delete the first set of duplicated files?
    I'd recommend restoring. While you could easily figure out which files are from the old install in that folder, there might be some elsewhere. Old settings might still be in place too, and I've seen people have battery issues and such that were caused by choosing the upgrade option instead of restore.

Since you're already at 4.1 I assume you either don't need to unlock or that you know how to preserve the baseband with TinyUmbrella.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

seamariners85 (2010-10-20)

Thank you, again. I will just restore and redownload everything that gets lost in the middle; I'd rather my phone run smoothly and put in the extra time.