Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: limera1n & greenpois0n jailbreak for 3gs and 4

Default limera1n & greenpois0n jailbreak for 3gs and 4
    There has been much discussion about jailbreaking with these two. I thought I'd share some info that worked for me, consolidated below. Hopefully it'll help someone else too.

Extending a big, BIG thanks to Chronic Dev Team and GeoHot for preparing and releasing these jailbreaks, plus others like Comex who contributed. Really good stuff !

My environment:
    - iTunes v9.2.0.61
    - TinyUmbrella active with TSS server on (just in case)
    - Antivirus & firewall temporarily disabled (as not to interfere)

iPhones used:
    - iPhone 4 on v4.1 iOS, baseband 1.59.00 (used TinyUmbrella to upgrade from v4.0.2, preserving baseband
    - iPhone 3gs on v4.0 iOS, baseband 5.13.04

both phones configured to autolock = never (just in case)

Tried both jailbreaks currently available:
    - greenpois0n (downloaded 10/12/10)
    - limera1n (beta 4, downloaded 10/10/10)

greenpois0n results - I tried greenpois0n on my 3gs, but it would not jailbreak. Tried a couple of times, but no luck. I thought I read somewhere that a fix is in the works. On a positive side, it had a really nice GUI with good instructions.

For the record, I used the following procedure:
    How to Jailbreak Firmware 4.1 iPhone 3GS/4, iPad, iPod Touch 3G/4G with greenpois0n

greenpois0n download here as of 10-12-10: greenpois0n

limera1n results - Used Limera1n on both phones, with success.

Limerain here: limera1n
    (note: looks like Geohot updated today as beta4 not available but rather a final release? When I downloaded, it was beta 4.)

First time through, I used the iPhone 4, and found some bugs in a proedure I found earlier. I saw some other tips about holding the home button, so I combined everything into the procedure below that worked flawlessly for me.

1. Make sure you have iTunes installed and running
    2. Double click limera1n
    3. Click make it ra1n
    4. Follow instructions in the box
    - It’ll say press power+home
    - Then release power
    - When reach last step which says “dfu mode wait”,
    Do not release home button until the limera1n icon appears.
    6. Phone will now shut down. Power it back on.
    7. Look for the white icon 'limera1n' on the phone and launch it.
    7. Now click on Cydia and press install button on upper right corner.
    8. Phone will reboot. Cydia and Limera1n icon will be there.

May have to run several times if it doesn’t work first time.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-10-13 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason greenpois0n didn't work on your 3GS is because it only works on 4.1
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    The reason greenpois0n didn't work on your 3GS is because it only works on 4.1
    I believe you are incorrect. Here's what greenpois0n was advertised to support posted as a how-to guide in the Modmyi tutorial section yesterday (taken from Chronic-Dev site), though today some of the greenpois0n related stuff seems to have been pulled

This guide was last updated on October 12th, 2010 at 7:02AM EST.
    This guide will show you how to jailbreak your iDevice using the new greenpois0n software by the Chronic Dev Team. It works on iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G 4.0-4.1 and beyond+++.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I believe you are incorrect. Here's what greenpois0n was advertised to support posted as a how-to guide in the Modmyi tutorial section yesterday (taken from Chronic-Dev site), though today some of the greenpois0n related stuff seems to have been pulled

This guide was last updated on October 12th, 2010 at 7:02AM EST.
    This guide will show you how to jailbreak your iDevice using the new greenpois0n software by the Chronic Dev Team. It works on iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G 4.0-4.1 and beyond+++.
    Then the guide is wrong. That line of devices and firmwares are taken from the limera1n site. I guess the author of the guide thought that greenpois0n would support anything that limera1n did.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Then the guide is wrong. That line of devices and firmwares are taken from the limera1n site. I guess the author of the guide thought that greenpois0n would support anything that limera1n did.

Well, I think you might be incorrect again. Actually, the compatability list did not come from limera1n site, but directly from Chronic-Dev blog, stating it would work on 3gs ver 4.0 and up. All this information was posted in the guide (link below) and referenced in another post by Mortopher on this site, as well as on the original Chronic-Dev blog post (2nd link below). FWIW, I'm not representing my opinion as fact, but rather trying to present the facts as I came across them. I saved the pages to my local drive as well.

As of 10/13/10 at 5:30p CDT, the links below are getting web page not found errors. Probably removed and undergoing revisions. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Greenpois0n guide was posted on Modmyi in the tutorial section, yesterday (10/12)
    --> Apple, iPhone iPad, and iPod Touch Guides / Tutorials
    http://modmyi.com/guides/how-to-jail...h-greenpois0n/

Chronic-Dev blogthat was up yesterday 10/12/10, but down today
    http://chronic-dev.org/blog/2010/10/...itial-release/

Anyway, lots of confusing information floating around, so I went ahead and compiled what I found seemed to work best for me. I respect the Chronic-Dev team, iDev team, geohot, comex and all the others for the work they've done and continue to do for us. I'm just glad we all have some jailbreak tools available. This is a great iphone community.

FWIW, since jailbreaking, I've loaded and tested many Cydia apps (the ones I use) including the new mobile terminal for v4.x ios and everything is working great. I can WinSCP in, change root/mobile passwords, manipulate files, phone service and features work great, SMS, 3G/edge, everything. No issues what-so-ever. Note that while my post count is low, I've actually been a registered member for over 3 years and have been working with iphones since the time the original iphone was released.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-10-14 at 01:12 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Just look at the CDT blog here: Chronic Dev Blog - it says clear as day "greenpois0n only works on firmware 4.1"

It's not that I don't believe you simple because you have a low post count. I hadn't actually noticed it before you mentioned it. I just knew it only worked on 4.1 because I stay up to date on all jailbreak info.

The line was in fact taken from the limera1n site. Notice how it says "and beyond+++" exactly as it was written by geohot.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-10-14 at 02:12 AM.

Then greenpois0n for v4.1 it is.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-10-14 at 03:27 AM.