Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help a girl with her iPhone 4

Default Please help a girl with her iPhone 4
    waaaaaaaaaaaaa. I recently updated my iphone 4 to 4.1 and JB it. (i was previously on 4.0.1 Jailbroken). Well I am trying to apply pink & purple SMS bubbles to my SMS screen and NOTHINg is applying. I've tried SSH'ing into the phone and changing the names, but maybe im not changing them to the right thing.
    ALSO..when I SSH into var/systems/themese there are TWO themes to select from (was there also 2 theme folders to select from) or is something interferring with it.

I really need pink and purple sms bubbles.
    if someone knows how to make them for the 4.1 or something please please please
    i will donate to get them back lol
    help me
    ahhh

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Give it a day or two for everyone (devs, senior members, etc.) to familiarize themselves with the changes in 4.1 and there will be plenty of people able to help you out.

edit: Assuming that you've had these colors before, you could even go in and physically replace the stock sms bubbles with the new colors you want to use. That will certainly work and would be the fastest method if you don't want to test things out. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact location of the sms bubbles in iOS.

~This is also assuming that installing them via winterboard does not currently work due to incompatibilities with their theme and/or winterboard and iOS 4.1 (I'm not much into custom theming my phone, sorry).
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-10-12 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

GLAMOROUS (2010-10-12)

There some compatibility issues with the SMS bubbles on 4.1..give it a few days for them to work it out, they should have new versions in cydia soon...I remember reading 3 or 4 other threads with people having the same problem..that's why I'm staying on 4.0.1
    Also, the only reason I'm helping u is because ur a girl

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

GLAMOROUS (2010-10-12)

LOL thanks yall. Well I am impatient (women!!) haha. I am trying to SSH into it and change it myself but i dont know what file name to change it to.
    Grrrrr. the only reason i updated to 4.1 was to HOPEFULLY fix the sensor issue (when my cheek hangs up on people) during the call. MY 3G NEVER did that. Blah!
    i just want my pink and purple bubbles dang it!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Every graphic on the iPhone 4 must be the correct resolution which is why old themes don't work. Try downloading and installing HD bubbles from Cydia.

Nvm... just tried the HD bubbles... fail. Sorry.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2010-10-12 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Your Messages

Their Message:

Just copy the png's in the zip folder into the MobileSMS.app folder I mentioned earlier and replace the stock colors. Should work like a charm after a reboot/respring.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Can you make me a couple orange ones in different shades?

Thanks

There's 4 or 5 different shades in the zip file below. let me know if you had something else in mind.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

edit: They just need to be renamed to the names i mentioned earlier.

Red face Forgive a newbie
    Hi,
    I am having the same problem as Glamorous. I loved my red and purple SMS bubbles and I am also on the impatient side. lol. I just upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.1 and reinstalled all of my previous Cydia themes etc. on my iPhone 4. But, of course, none of the SMS bubble color changes work now. I would consider doing it manually like you suggested but I am new to all this. Could you let me know how to go about manually changing the colors as suggested above. Again, I have never done this before so please be gentle. Thanks!

Thanks

Install OpenSSH via Cydia and then install WinSCP on your PC. You will be able to make an SSH connection to your iPhone and view all of the files in a windows explorer style directory.

You will need your wifi IP for the iPhone. This can be found in SBSettings or by going into the networks page in Settings.app and tapping the blue icon to the right of the network that you are connected to.

Default username: root

Default password: alpine

Sorry these aren't very detailed instructions but it's a solid start. Google "winscp iphone" and you'll find more than enough guidance.

Also, it is best to either change the default password from alpine so that others cannot maliciously access your directory. Personally, I just install then uninstall it everytime I need it, thereby avoiding the password worry altogether.

Go ahead and also take a look at iFile in Cydia. It's a very extensive file browser/manager for the iPhone; by far one of my most used apps.

Thanks Mortopher! I am going to get to work on this right away!

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Install OpenSSH via Cydia and then install WinSCP on your PC. You will be able to make an SSH connection to your iPhone and view all of the files in a windows explorer style directory.

You will need your wifi IP for the iPhone. This can be found in SBSettings or by going into the networks page in Settings.app and tapping the blue icon to the right of the network that you are connected to.

Default username: root

Default password: alpine

Sorry these aren't very detailed instructions but it's a solid start. Google "winscp iphone" and you'll find more than enough guidance.

Also, it is best to either change the default password from alpine so that others cannot maliciously access your directory. Personally, I just install then uninstall it everytime I need it, thereby avoiding the password worry altogether.

Go ahead and also take a look at iFile in Cydia. It's a very extensive file browser/manager for the iPhone; by far one of my most used apps.

To use the bubbles in a theme instead of overwriting the app, you need to put them in your com.apple.chatkit folder in the bundles folder in your theme.

Gaz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    There's 4 or 5 different shades in the zip file below. let me know if you had something else in mind.
    Replaced the files... confirmed no workie. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Replaced the files... confirmed no workie. Sorry.
    @Poseidon79

The images with "~iphone" on the end are only for ios 4.1.

For 4.0 I think it's just [email protected]

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janullrich For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (2010-11-10), Poseidon79 (2010-10-13)

Thanks

I went to 4.1 2 days ago when limera1n released... forgot to update my details. *fixed*

Apologies.

Unzip this file here and put it in /private/var/stash/Themes.???/THEME_NAME.theme/Bundles

Respring and reboot your phone.

You should have this:

Still working on this. Not sure though which files to replace. Does anyone know the exact names of the files in 4.1 that I should replace?

Thanks

My apologies. it's been a while since i tried personalizing my iPhone. The files that would need to be replaced would be in the chatkit folder that jan mentioned. Though an easier way would just be to swap out the preferred colors via his winterboard bundle he posted.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

dragonclif (2010-10-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast