Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide for buying iPhone 3GS

Thanks

Default Guide for buying iPhone 3GS
    Okay, I just recently sold my iPhone 3G because I'm looking to upgrade to the faster 3GS. I rely on an unlock as T-Mobile is my carrier. I know my way around the 3G because they are relatively simple compared to the 3GS.

I'm confused with all of this "old bootrom" and "new bootrom" stuff. How do I know or how would I check to see if the iPhone 3GS I buy is able to be jailbroken and unlocked? I know for the unlock, it must have never been updated to 4.1 as 5.14.02 is currently not able to be unlocked. I got that part down. Is that the only thing I should worry about, checking the baseband, because I rely on an unlock?

I'm just confused about the different jailbreaking methods with the old/new bootroms. If I buy an iPhone 3GS that has a baseband able to be unlocked, will I be okay from there? Is there a for sure method of jailbreaking/unlocking it as long as it isn't on 4.1? How do you even check the bootrom...

As you can tell I'm confused. Until I figure all of this out (and my next paycheck comes in), I'm stuck with an old fashioned flip phone...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 2010-10-11 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The most important thing to ask is to ask the seller, what shsh is shown on the front page of Cydia. If it has only 4.1 shsh, this is no good. I tell you why it is no good. What if your iphone crashes, then you cannot restore to any firmware except 4.1 which cannot be unlocked by Ultrasn0w. You must have atleast 4.0.1 shsh and lower.
    The other thing is if it says the firmware is 3.0 , 3.0.1 or 3.1 , they are all old bootroms. This is good because you have the golden tool to use custom firmware to preserve your baseband but must have atleast 4.0.1shsh blogs too.
    They can be having 3.0 on it and jailbroken but only 4.1 shsh blogs, don't get this iphone.

One more last thing, with all of those being said , The baseband must be able to unlock by Ultrasnow.
    There are alot of sneaky sellers out there, after upgrading their baseband to 05.14.xx , they would downgrade the firmware to make it looks like it can be jailbroken and unlocked .
    As you know, BB once upgraded cannot be downgraded.
    I hope this will help you to choose your iPhone in a professional way.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-11 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

dotFIVE (2010-10-11), millermil121 (2010-10-11)

Thanks

Thanks a lot! Very helpful and useful information indeed; exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep in mind to look for a 3GS 4.0.1 or below.

Is there a way to check whether the 3GS has an old or new bootrom when I'm buying it?

very great and helpful indeed,thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can also ask for the serial number. Ask for the first 5 serial number starting from the left. If the 3 rd number is 9, 4th and 5 th is equal to or less than 40, then it will be the old bootrom.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-11 at 09:07 AM.