Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [FAQ] Everything you need to know about Greenpois0n / SHAtter

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [FAQ] Everything you need to know about Greenpois0n / SHAtter
    NOTE: I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS. IT IS SIMPLY COPY/PASTED FROM Clayton Braasch's BLOG. ALL CREDIT GOES TO HIM!

Clayton's Blog Everything You Need to Know About Greenpois0n / SHAtter

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Braasch
    Everything you need to know about Greenpois0n / SHAtter

Today, Chronic Dev Team member Joshua Hill (better known as p0sixninja) announced on Twitter that the ETA of the greenpois0n tool is Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM (10/10/10 at 10:10), but this does not mean the two dev teams will run into issues before then and have to delay the release. However, there is still a lot of confusion about everything, so I’m hoping this little guide will help answer some questions and allow you all to rest easier.

1. What is greenpois0n / SHAtter, and what does this all mean for me?

Greenpois0n was originally (and still is) a toolkit meant to help people discover new userland, iBoot and bootrom exploits. However, greenpois0n is also the new tool developed by both the Chronic Dev Team and iPhone Dev team that is designed to permanently “pwn” devices that use the A4 chip. The vulnerability was originally discovered by p0sixninja (and likely geohot as well), but wasn’t working until hacker pod2g, who also is responsible for the 24kPwn exploit, found a way to properly exploit the vulnerability, creating what we now know as SHAtter.

If you own an iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, and/or iPad, then this jailbreak tool will work with your device, because SHAtter is used to exploit Apple’s A4 chip. If you have an iPod touch 2G (including MC models, though your jailbreak will be tethered) or an iPhone 3G, please use redsn0w to jailbreak your device (scroll down to the bottom of the post to find download links). If you have an iPhone 3G S or iPod touch 3G, neither of these tools will work, and you’ll need to wait for a new userland jailbreak from comex. Please be patient and do not harass him or anyone else — everyone will have a jailbreak solution very soon.

The jailbreak itself is untethered for iOS 4.1, thanks to comex and an exploit he used in order to make the boot of the device itself untethered. However, jailbreaks on future firmwares (4.1.1 or 4.2) will be tethered unless something similar is done to make SHAtter untethered. So, to make sure you can keep your untethered jailbreak, please use TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH blobs, or click “Make My Life Easier” in Cydia to save them through saurik’s server automatically.

2. What is a jailbreak, and what makes greenpois0n “special”?

A jailbreak is commonly defined as a tool that installs Cydia, which is an application that allows you to free your device from Apple’s limitations and install custom applications, themes, and tweaks Apple wouldn’t normally allow in the App Store. In short: it’s an iDevice the way you want it to be.

Because greenpois0n exploits part of the bootrom for these new devices, that means you’ll be able to have custom boot and recovery logos, and the tool will support hacktivation, which is just the unofficial activation of your iPhone. Like previous jailbreaks, it’ll most likely be a one-click jailbreak solution (but, you’ll just have to wait and find out what it looks like!). Plus, this exploit allows you to jailbreak your device forever, regardless of new firmware updates, and can only be patched by Apple with a hardware date. Though it may be tethered when future firmwares are released, it’s better than nothing.

3. Will I be able to unlock my device?

There is no unlock for the baseband that comes with iOS 4.1, but if you’re still on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, you’ll be able to upgrade your iPhone while preverving your baseband if you use a PwnageTool build to do so (this only applies to iPhone users, and it’s already easy to do so without a custom firmware if you have an iPhone 4).

As for an unlock for devices with the latest basebands: several people, including sherif_hashim and myself, are exploring the baseband and looking for exploitable crashes. It’s very difficult to find baseband exploits these days, so be patient while you wait for a new version of ultrasn0w if your phone came with iOS 4.1.

I’m hoping this helped answer whatever question(s) you may have had, but if it didn’t, leave a comment below or contact me via email or Twitter and I’ll help you out.

Clayton Braasch (ClaytonBraasch) on Twitter
    I'm posting this to help people understand exactly what Greenpois0n / SHAtter is. If mods feel it should be moved to another board, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by Funked; 2010-10-08 at 05:04 PM.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Funked For This Useful Post:

mahgninnuc93 (2010-10-08), Os7.1.0 (2010-10-08), stlcaddie (2010-10-08)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

Good 411. Thanks dude man!!

Thanks

You're welcome his guide helped me a lot to understand what this jailbreak is all about, and I'm sure it will help others too!

Thanks

im bummed. thought this would jb 3GS.

Thanks

Yeh I think a lot of people thought it would work for all devices, not just the 4th gen ones. I'm sure comex will have a 3GS jailbreak soon enough, but I think he is waiting for iOS 4.2. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I picked up from twitter.

Thanks

just my luck. I had my jb 3GS replaced in June, so I had to wait for the jb in early august. then I got that replaced late sept, with 4.0.2 refurb, no shsh. then yesterday, that was replaced cuz it had a 3G issue, no shsh!! not complaining, I'm patient. but I have bad luck! and my wifes is jb, I'm jealous!

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I hope people actually read this post instead of starting 100 more post with questions about this new JB.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

I have a quesiton , I am on 4.0.1 on iPhone 4, ton of custom mods and cydia apps etc. Am I going to have to upgrade to stock 4.1 to use greenpois0n, I will manually save all my themes etc. if thats the case.
    I may just wait too, custom boot/restore logos are not that important at the moment. I was hoping there may be just a jailbreak & install Cydia option, but they say greenpois0n only works on 4.1? We'll have to see.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
    I have a quesiton , I am on 4.0.1 on iPhone 4, ton of custom mods and cydia apps etc. Am I going to have to upgrade to stock 4.1 to use greenpois0n, I will manually save all my themes etc. if thats the case.
    I may just wait too, custom boot/restore logos are not that important at the moment. I was hoping there may be just a jailbreak & install Cydia option, but they say greenpois0n only works on 4.1? We'll have to see.
    you're already jailbroken, if im not mistaken u can use tinyumbrella to update to 4.1. but might as well just wait and use tinyumbrella to update to 4.2 when it's released, unless you need to have the game center thing right now, and whatever else 4.1 does for i4