Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Autofill Email Addresses

Default Autofill Email Addresses
    I have literally spent hours on the internet trying to figure this out, but haven't found anything. If you send a email to [email protected] it's stored automatically in the email cache. Any time you send a email a address that starts with "j" that address would pop up. It comes in handy, but I have fat fingers and have mistyped multiple email addresses and am constantly sending messages to incorrect email addresses. There must be some way to delete these, right?! The thing I could find is using WinSCP and SSH. Well, I tried that and somehow ended up deleting my entire address book. So, I think I'm done trying to use SSH and WinSCP. Does anyone have any suggestions? Apparently, there used to something by BossPrefs called ABRecentCleanUp in Cydia...but I think it's gone now. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried deleting your safari cache/history? I know it's nothing to do with safari but that might be were it caches emails

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Yeah, that definitely does not delete them.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

K I didn't really think it woulda, the only other thing I can suggest is to restore (NOT FROM BACKUP) I know it's hassle, but if the problem posses you off as much as you say then it might be worth it

Anyone else with suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya22 View Post
    Anyone else with suggestions?
    hi, you dont mention what previous method you used, where you messed up your address book, but i 100% used the following method that i took from some internet post a few weeks back to alleviate the exact same problem

this has now removed the incorrect entries that were mistakes etc

let me know how you get on with it if you havent already tried this:

1) Through SSH, copy AddressBook.sqlitedb file to PC
    /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

2) With SQLite Database Browser (Download SQLite Database Browser from SourceForge.net), open AddressBook.sqlitedb

3) Switch to Browse Data tab and select ABRecent from Table dropdown list

4) Select the record to delete and press the Delete Record button at the top right

5) Continue deleting as much as you want and then Save

6) Transfer AddressBook.sqlitedb back to iPhone overwriting original
    7) Reboot iPhone

HTH
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quaddy For This Useful Post:

Duran05 (2010-12-12), Lindararith (2010-10-23)

It worked!
    It's very easy if you have knowledge in SSH (or iFunbox works too) and sqlite. The key is knowing where the file is.
    And that helped a lot! Thank you so much

1) Through SSH, copy AddressBook.sqlitedb file to PC

2) With SQLite Database Browser (Download SQLite Database Browser from SourceForge.net), open AddressBook.sqlitedb

do you have to set permissions somehow? I followed those steps to a "T", but when I get into the ABRecent table there are no records to delete. Yet on my phone, the incorrect email addresses are still in it when I am using it. I'm doing this with on PC with Windows, so I'm using WinSCP and the SQLite DataBrowser.

I had no problem locating the mis-spelled email in the table.
    And I didn't really understand your problem about ABRecent. Can you describe some more?

For permission there's something you need to know.
    After clearing the unwanted row in the db file, you have to make the permission back to its original state so that iPhone is able to acces the file later.
    I had a problem after my dirt attempt and I wasn't able to add or delete any contact.
    I changed it to 775(for the file) and it became normal again.

do you have to set permissions somehow? I followed those steps to a "T", but when I get into the ABRecent table there are no records to delete. Yet on my phone, the incorrect email addresses are still in it when I am using it. I'm doing this with on PC with Windows, so I'm using WinSCP and the SQLite DataBrowser.

I have no problem at locating ABRecent from the "browse data" tab. When I select ABRecent from the the drop down menu there is not a single record found within it. When viewing the address book with WinSCP if you right click on the address book and go to properties there is a field with a 4 digit number. Does that need changed? I read something about sometimes changing it.?

I've never used WinSCP so I am not sure what those 4 digit number means.
    Could be permission but I'm not sure, maybe you can post a screenshot here.
    If that indeed IS permission, just keep the original setting and change it to 777. That's the most tolerant setting.

I managed to do it with iFunBox. You can try that if you want.

I have no problem at locating ABRecent from the "browse data" tab. When I select ABRecent from the the drop down menu there is not a single record found within it. When viewing the address book with WinSCP if you right click on the address book and go to properties there is a field with a 4 digit number. Does that need changed? I read something about sometimes changing it.?

Does iFunBox work with a PC?

yeah you might wanna try googling before asking that question :-/
    i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch via USB
    It's easy, just connect your iDevice and launch ifunbox.
    Make sure you have afc2add installed in Cydia and a suitable version of iTunes on PC(latest should work)

ifunbox worked great, problem solved. I don't why, but when I transferred the address book using WinSCP and opebed it using SQL databrowser the ABRecent tab was empty. Doing the same thing with ifunbox worked as it should and much easier. Problem solved. BIG THANKS!

Has anyone figured out a way to do this with ifile? I found the file in ifile but I have no idea how to edit it to delete the contacts. Obviously the file is cached in the iPhone itself and I assume it should be able to be accessed and edited through ifile also right?

I would suggest copying the file into PC/Mac to modify.
    The file is an sqlite db file and I am not sure whether you can modify the content using iFile. You might wanna google this if you insist on doing it on phone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vicjang For This Useful Post:

Duran05 (2010-12-12)

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll stick to your way as I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to do this through ssh. I don't feel I'm advanced enough to modify it with ifile yet! One more question though. If I follow the tutorial here and use ifunbox, do I need to change the permission before i do anything? And if so, is 777 correct? Then I just need to change it back to the original permission after I over ride the original file right? Sorry for the noob-osity... If thats a word...

Don't need to change permission BEFORE modifying the file, it should just work in PC/Mac (I used sqlite database browser in PC).
    After you finish modifying the file, put it back into the device and change the permission. (I changed it to 775 which worked, but I am not sure about the original setting).
    You can use MobileTerminal to change the permission (chmod)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vicjang For This Useful Post:

Duran05 (2010-12-12)

Thanks for the clarification! I'm trying to expand my modification IQ and u guy/gals here are always the best...