Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: software unlock vs factory unlock

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default software unlock vs factory unlock
    just by viewing the subject line you all can figure iam no expert when it comes to iphone or modding of the device.
    i currently have an iphone 3G however i might be selling it to my cousin soon. If that is the case i plan on getting an iphone 4

now the market here in pakistan is selling software unlock iphones and factory unlock ones...the software ones seem to be considerably cheaper compared to the factory ones..so

i was hoping if somebody could explain the main difference between the two and which one is a better choice to purchase? I do have a general idea of the differences

A factory unlocked iPhone never needs to be jailbroken because you can use any sim out of the box and update it through iTunes.While a software unlocked iPhone is already jailbroken and you need to wait for updates from dev team to be able to update your iPhone

but which model would suit my preference if I do no have much intention of using it here in Pakistan but more so abroad like in australia or canada.

thanks
    Last edited by sukar; 2010-10-04 at 09:12 AM.

Factory Unlock is better if you are going to be using it on unsupported Carriers.
    However, you still would need to jailbreak it if you plan on using and purchasing third party apps and modify your phone like changing themes ond alot of cool tweaks Apple is closed to.

A software unlocked phone is already jailbroken, however you would need to unlock it with ultrasn0w to be able to use it on unsupported Carriers.

If you update a software unlock phone without the devs saying it's safe you will lose tje jailbreak and unlock possibly forever or at least quite sometime.

If you update a factory unlock phone with out the devs saying it's safe you will lose the jailbreak but your phone will always be unlocked and usable on any Carrier. You would just have to wait for a new jailbreak to get all those cool tweaks back.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Definatly get fac unlocked, it will run alot smoother I imagine.. But as you have said you'll be paying the price, quite literally. I imagine they can be upto 200 more for a factory unlocked..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!