Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updating the same as restoring?

Default Updating the same as restoring?
    Alright so my phones been acting a bit funny recently so i thought i'd try a restore

I've backed all the normal stuff up using iPhoneBrowser and was just about to hit the restore button in itunes but then came across this:
    Jailbreak iPhone 3GS, 3G iOS 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze | jailbreak

Now my question is if i update and use that method above^ will it work? and is updating to a new ios going to have the same effect as restoring? and will that jailbreak above even work? I originally used the jailbreakme.com jailbreak to do it

Thanks =)

Thanks

I would be cautious , updating isn't the same as restoring , restoring to same firmware preserves the baseband while updating doesn't...so be careful with what you do

Hmmm what would you reccomend that i do? I'm thinking i could just restore then update and then use the method from that link or would that not work?

Alrght i just tried to restore to 4.0.1 but it wouldn't let me (apparently apple stopped signing or something?) and yes i am already on 4.0.1 =\

###third post
    Ok third update for some reason upon restoring it went into dfu mode and couldn't get out so now i'm on 4.1 via the itunes restore...

is there anything that i can do?

And now its refusing to get out of dfu mode and each time i try to restore itunes gives an error 28 the only thing prior to this i installed auto3g from cydia if it helps =\ how do i get outta this?
    Last edited by itachikun; 2010-10-03 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by itachikun View Post
    Hmmm what would you reccomend that i do? I'm thinking i could just restore then update and then use the method from that link or would that not work?

Alrght i just tried to restore to 4.0.1 but it wouldn't let me (apparently apple stopped signing or something?) and yes i am already on 4.0.1 =

###third post
    Ok third update for some reason upon restoring it went into dfu mode and couldn't get out so now i'm on 4.1 via the itunes restore...

is there anything that i can do?

And now its refusing to get out of dfu mode and each time i try to restore itunes gives an error 28 the only thing prior to this i installed auto3g from cydia if it helps = how do i get outta this?

If you put 4.1 on your iPhone, you just shot yourself in the foot. Sorry.