Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facetime Issue

Default Facetime Issue
    I bought my ip4 when it came out in the US.
    Since I live outside the US I had to jailbrek it and unlock it to be able to get it to work on my carrier, Movistar.

Movistar is the official iphone carrier here but since my phone was bought in US it was locked to AT&T which is why I needed to unlock.

Facetime never worked and I even tried pushfix's mytime with no luck, so I gave up and figured facetime is not available here.

However, ip4 was launched here yesterday by the official carrier Movistar which is what I'm on. My uncle bought one and asked me to set it up for him. Ip4s sold here are locked to Movistar.

After setting up with itunes I figure I'd turn his facetime on just for the hell of it. I got the message saying "waiting for activation" just like mine. I figured facetime really is not available here.

So I went into one of his contacts and found he HAS THE FACETIME option and IS working. His face time status still says "waiting for activation." Mime does not work!! What the hell!!!! Why???? Why???

Went into settings, phone to check my number and it is typed just like his but with my number.

I've rebooted my phone and still NO FACETIME!!!
    After a while my facetime message changed from "waiting for activation" to "your number will be shared with people you call using facetime" but still does not work.
    My uncle's phone still says "waiting for activation" and has facetime fully functional.

Can someone please shed some light into this.

Update: I just inserted my sim into my uncles ip4 and facetime works perfectly. However, I tried his sim on my ip4 and facetime still does not work. So I figure it has nothing to do with my sim. The problem is with my iphone.

My best guess is that when I connected my ip4 with itunes for the first time I did it with the AT&T sim the phone came with. Or just simply the phone number my phone uses to send the sms to get activated is not the correct one my carrier Movistar needs.

Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-10-03 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

No idea why it isn't working. My opinion is you should sell the phone on eBay. It being jailbroken and unlocked will fetch quite a price! Go buy an i4 from Movistar and still have money left over. No more FaceTime issues, no more unlock dependency. Besides, the new jailbreak should be out soon. That's exactly what I would do.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Thanks for replying.
    Problem is ip4 costs $900 here and it seems that it must be some setting or little step I'm missing.
    Kinda seems like soooo close yet so far away... Everything indicates my facetime should work. I'm on the official carrier only difference is I bought the phone in US.

Update 2: I just noticed I have the mms camera icon next to where you would start writting a text message.
    However, I cannot send or receive a picture this way. I get red exclamation mark and a "message sent failure" message. My uncle's ip4 can.

I never told my carrier I had an iphone 4. I just jailbroke and unlocked mine and started using it. Makes me wonder if the carrier activates something on their system when you have an ip4 for example, that has not been done on mine.
    Hence the problem of not being able to send or receive mms and factime.

Anyone knows if this could be the issue?

Thanks

Yikes! $900 is steep!

Well, it's probably in some network setting buried in the OS. I hope someone can resolve it.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

FINALLY FIXED MYTIME.

The problem WAS the number my ip4 was using to sendthe sms activation text to. It was sending it to a US number instead of the UK number it wws supposed to be sending it too.

@pushfix was right all the time. He told me that mitime was not going to be able to activate my phone because it is only for unsupported carriers and I'm on the official carrier, movistar.

After reading ALOT checking almost all the carrier bundles I tried removing mitime. Turned on facetime afterwards and the sms got sent to the right number and got activated.

Huge thanks to Waleed786 who responded many of my threads and gave me enough pieces of the puzzle to finally figure this out. Thank You!!!!

Thanks to modmyi and this forums as well. Would have never figured it out without it!!!
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-10-04 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm having the same problem, I'm here in Nicaragua I use Claro and movistar. It keeps saying ft SMS too old. I've turned it off and on but still no luck. I've unistalled and reinstalled mitime. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mikemmva View Post
    I'm having the same problem, I'm here in Nicaragua I use Claro and movistar. It keeps saying ft SMS too old. I've turned it off and on but still no luck. I've unistalled and reinstalled mitime. Any ideas?
    I'm in Nicaragua too and I finally was able to activate FaceTime on my ip4 which I bought in US.

Uninstall mitime. Mitime only works on unsupported carriers. Movistar and Claro are official iphone carriers.

Do uninstall mitime and my3g and miwi if you have them installed.

Once uninstalled go to settings, phone and turn facetime on.
    Wait a bit and FaceTime should activate. If your facetime is on, turn off and then back on.

If that doesnt work, go into settings and reset all network settings. Reboot the phone anf turn facetime on and wait a bit.

Let me know how it goes.

i think ,currently there is NO way for jailbroken and unlocked phones to have face time work properly .

At least , if limerain is used without activating device with AT&T ..

Maybe a restore with tss server , and before applying limerain , an activation with AT&T sim would work ..

Am i true ? Or applying limerain would override activation status done with AT&T sim ?

I am jialbroken and unlocked and my FaceTime is working perfectly!

it was working all the time ? or did you perform any actions to get it work ?

by the way , i'm on a supported carrier (i dont know if facetime is also supported in turkey) , but phone is bought from USA ..

what is your version ? did you use mitime ? which method did you use to JB ? Did you activate with AT&T ?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpbug View Post
    it was working all the time ? or did you perform any actions to get it work ?

by the way , i'm on a supported carrier (i dont know if facetime is also supported in turkey) , but phone is bought from USA ..

what is your version ? did you use mitime ? which method did you use to JB ? Did you activate with AT&T ?
    Bought my iphone 4 in Miami.
    FaceTime was not working in the beginning. (think started working when Ip4 was launched here)
    Jailbroke with Jailbreake.com.
    Unlocked with Ultrasn0w.
    I tried MiTme but after no success, I chatted with @pushfix and he told me that MiTime will only work with unsupported carriers. It will not work with official cariiers. I live in Nicaragua and we have two official carriers, Movistar and Claro. I ended up thinking FaceTime was not supported here but after the iphone 4s went on sale here I noticed that FaceTime was working... But not on my phone. So I deleted MiTime, reset all network settings and rebooted my phone. I then turned FaceTime on and in about 30 seconds it became activated.

Forgot to mention that I activated my ip4 with the AT&T sim card.

I'm on 4.0.1 (8A306)
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-10-11 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

it may be either

your carrier settings are o.k. to send the required activation sms

or

limerain breaks facetime

I don't know about limera1m breaking carrier settings. I need the unlock so I haven't upgraded yet.

whatever i try (or anyone tries here in turkey) , no one manage to use facetime @ jailbroken 4.1 iOS

I uninstalled my3g and mitime, also reset network settings. Here in Nicaragua on Claro it still won't activate. I am using a prepaid sim with Internet enabled. Any other ideas?

Try "facebreak" since you have JB your device.
    it will force enable the facetime button (I am not sure if it actually work)
    Remember, facebreak need you to turn ON your wifi even it is not connected to any network. and it was used to do facetime with 3G.

Just installed facebreak, that didn't work either. Everytime I push the FaceTime Button it goes blank.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemmva View Post
    I uninstalled my3g and mitime, also reset network settings. Here in Nicaragua on Claro it still won't activate. I am using a prepaid sim with Internet enabled. Any other ideas?
    What version are you on?

What did you jailbreak it with?

any information on what to do when i get to nicaragua with my iphone...how to get it up and runing on an nica network. i plan on unlocking the phone before i leave the states. any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by lgiles View Post
    any information on what to do when i get to nicaragua with my iphone...how to get it up and runing on an nica network. i plan on unlocking the phone before i leave the states. any help would be greatly appreciated
    If your phone is unlocked just go to either Claro or Movistar and tell them you want sim card for your iphone 4 and they'll cut one up for you. Choose what ever plan you want pre paid or post pay.

It's literally that simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast