Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SIM Question: should I include it when I sell iPhone ?

Default SIM Question: should I include it when I sell iPhone ?
    I have terminated my AT&T contract (mostly because of coverage issues where I live - I am going back to Verizon and have to hope for a iPhone in it's future) and am soon going to sell my JBed 3G (probably on eBay). I am wondering what the pros & cons are of including my SIM card with the phone when I sell. Specifically:

Are there any security issues ?

Might the SIM be of any use to me in the future ? (for example can I use it with an old GSM RAZR to do one of the pay-as-you-go plans ... this would be handy when I travel to places where AT&T is strong and Verizon isn't)

Does including the SIM when I sell the phone add any value to the buyer ? Is a SIMless phone harder to sell ?

You're looking way to deep into it. If its deactivated, its worth like 99 cents lol. All that it can help the buyer, is if he restores his phone on 4.0.1 or below. This is because to jailbreak the low 4.0's, you need Jailbreak me which is done on the phone, so it needs to be activated, and thats what a sim does. Just do eeny meeny miny mo lol. The buyer won't need it for 4.1, because its a USB based jailbreak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivel For This Useful Post:

rdfisch (2010-10-02)

OK, so I guess your saying it won't decrease the bids if I don't include it. So I might as well keep it. But will it "fast track" me onto getting a pay-as-you-go account when I plug it in another GSM phone (like my RAZR) ? Can I do this without a startup cost.

Nope once it's deactivated u can't activate it again, it's useless now, you can just use is to get past the activation screen on iPhones if u ever need to

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

rdfisch (2010-10-02)

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Nope once it's deactivated u can't activate it again, it's useless now, you can just use is to get past the activation screen on iPhones if u ever need to
    Good info. Thanked!

So, I guess off topic, but now that I've divorced AT&T, how do I get a SIM to use my old RAZR as a pay-as-you-go ?

U need to buy a prepaid activation kit from an AT&T store. Or you can just get any blank AT&T sim and use that, but they cost $30 at AT&T (i have no idea why the charge so much when tmobile only charges $10 for the same thing). If u can find a cheaper one on eBay or something u can buy that. But it has to be brand new and never activated.