Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: shatter wont jailbreak 3gs!!!

Default shatter wont jailbreak 3gs!!!
    will the upcoming shatter tool work with the 3gs phone? i have read a lot of posts on here saying it wont because it doesn't have the new apple chip.. when the shatter news come out it sure seemed like it would jailbreak all devices.. basically i need to know if its worth hanging onto this locked 4.02 3gs or dump it and get a unlocked 3gs or 4.

if no one is working on a 3gs jailbreak its not worth waiting any longer been sitting on this phone for 3 weeks now..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It doesn't rely on which processor chip. It's a boot exploit. All devices will be able to use the new jb, so I've heard.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so it's SH4tter which is the EXPLOIT, this will then be incorporated into a usable interface (jailbreak tool) for the iphone4, itouch4 and iPad..
    Whether they will incorporate an exploit for older devices into the greenpois0n I dno, but my bet is they won't as that would render redsnow and Snowbreeze pointless.
    I'd say you'll be looking toward the next redsnow/Snowbreeze update for your jb

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    It doesn't rely on which processor chip. It's a boot exploit. All devices will be able to use the new jb, so I've heard.
    No, shatter is an exploit in the A4 chip which is why it means the itouch4 iphone4 and iPad will be jailbreakable for ever after

Blackra1ned

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Nonetheless, rumor is it's for every device. Considering Sn0wbreeze only works with jailbroken old boot phones and Redsn0w hasn't worked on 3GS since 3.0, I think the new JB is meant to cover the 3GS (both old and new boot) as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Confusicious mentions it too about it only being an exploit for that A4 chip.

Kind of a wait and see what gets handled.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh man just imagine the outcry from all the 3gs users.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

They always mention that they never know when it will end because Apple is getting clever along the way too.

it will suck holding on to this junk phone for a few more weeks only to find that its still junk.. i got really hosed on this deal. supposed to be at 4.01 but guy updated the day he shipped to 4.02 even thou he said he would leave it on 4.01 grr

stuck using a Nokia 1661
    Last edited by akafred; 2010-09-30 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    it will suck holding on to this junk phone for a few more weeks only to find that its still junk.. i got really hosed on this deal. supposed to be at 4.01 but guy updated the day he shipped to 4.02 even thou he said he would leave it on 4.01 grr

stuck using a Nokia 1661
    If your phone buying depends completely on a jailbreak for the unlock then buying a factory unlock is always the best way to go. Your situation is understood because the seller messed up and updated but people that buy it the day it comes out and can't use it till the unlock are the ones playing a risk game.

yeah i am seriously considering selling this and getting a factory unlocked. or i may just get a unlocked android phone. i got my wife one and it seems to do anything the iphone will, i have it rooted running 2.2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When geohot demonstrated the exploit first, it was on an ipt3g. The exploit must therefore work on previous devices.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Ya I'm pretty sure it will run on older devices too. No hard evidence but I would like to think there would have been something said about it not running on a 3GS if that was the case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    When geohot demonstrated the exploit first, it was on an ipt3g. The exploit must therefore work on previous devices.
    Geohot doesn't do jb anymore..

i took all the articles to literally

"iPhone Dev Team managed to successfully discover a new bootrom exploit that can be utilized to jailbreak all iOS 4.1-based devices such as the iPhone and iPod Touch"

"Respected members of the Dev Team, like MuscleNerd have also confirmed that this new exploit does indeed work on all of the currently available devices, and works with the newest iOS 4.1

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...good-news.html

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ne-4-ipad.html
    Last edited by akafred; 2010-10-01 at 02:43 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    Geohot doesn't do jb anymore..
    My point was that since geohot's exploit worked on older devices and since it's likely the same exploit that pod2g/p0sixninja have, SHAtter should work on older devices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    "iPhone Dev Team managed to successfully discover a new bootrom exploit that can be utilized to jailbreak all iOS 4.1-based devices such as the iPhone and iPod Touch"
    It wasn't actually the iPhone dev team that found the bug. It was p0sixninja who's a member of the Chronic dev team.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-10-01 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

It wasn't actually the iPhone dev team that found the bug. It was p0sixninja who's a member of the Chronic dev team.
    yeah i just copied and pasted out of the threads in the news section. see the links its a direct copy.. i was trying to convey that both threads lead you to believe that this will work on all devices..
    Last edited by akafred; 2010-10-01 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks

My point was that since geohot's exploit worked on older devices and since it's likely the same exploit that pod2g/p0sixninja have, SHAtter should work on older devices as well.

No it was pod2g who found it, and I'm pretty sure it's not the same one the king used as he found and used it
    Ages ago (blackra1n) and it would defo have been patched in new gen devices..

Blackra1ned

Thanks

p0sixninja is just developing the jailbreak tool which uses the exploit.
    To clarify an exploit is used to gain root access to iDevices. A jailbreak tool is used to actually implement these exploits in a usable (to noobs) way... You see?

Blackra1ned

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I am pretty sure dhamien knows what he is talking about. You may want to do a little research before trying to discount what someone says. p0sixninja found the crash/vulnerability. So did geohot but separately (it had nothing to do with blackra1n, that was a seperate vulnerability and exploit altogether). They both had the same vulnerability. Geohot left the scene and pod2g turned that vulnerability into a working exploit. Now all of them are working on the jailbreak. Musclenerd and dev team are using the exploit in development of a updated pwnage tool, and chronic dev team is using it to develop a faster jailbreak using greenp0ison.

SHAtter - The iPhone Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast