Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: shatter wont jailbreak 3gs!!!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok I thought Geohot left before any device with the a4 was released.
    And I just saw this on p0sixninjas twitter
    p0sixninja @GamalSabry81 better check your sources, it doesn't even work on ipt2g

The GamalSabry person was asking whether it was tethered on the ipt2g, and p0six basically said it doesn't work on that model
    But I think they're talking about the exploit not the actual jailbreak tool..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

iPad was out before geohot left, I believe he even showed a picture of one jailbroken on his blog. Same with iPhone 4, I think that was one of the last posts on his blog before he shut it down.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/10/g...s-for-release/

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    No it was pod2g who found it, and I'm pretty sure it's not the same one the king used as he found and used it
    Ages ago (blackra1n) and it would defo have been patched in new gen devices..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    As you read from the iphonewiki article, p0six did in fact find it. Also, blackra1n is not a bootrom exploit. The bootrom exploit that geohot showed off in his ipt3g video was while 3.1.3 was the current firmware (maybe half a year after blackra1n's release) and before Spirit had been released. It was untethered.

The video has since been taken down from youtube, but I believe I found it to have been done about one week after the iPad was released. While this leaves room to the possibility that he could have found it in the iPad's A4 chip, the video was still of an ipt3g totally negating that issue. Fact is, geohot had a bootrom exploit that existed in the previous models (ipt3g and new bootrom 3gs) as well as in the A4. The question really is if the exploit that p0six has is the same as the one geohot has, and if they're the same, do p0six et al. have the skills needed to exploit it in a way that makes it untethered (there could be factors I don't understand obviously since I'm not a dev, but this is how I see it currently).

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    To clarify an exploit is used to gain root access to iDevices. A jailbreak tool is used to actually implement these exploits in a usable (to noobs) way... You see?
    I know what a jailbreak is
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-10-01 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

so we all agree that it will possibly work, or not work.. glad this is all cleared up lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    so we all agree that it will possibly work, or not work.. glad this is all cleared up lol
    Exactly all we can do is wait and see.

Im really disapointed in the dev team, not because they didnt include the 3gs, but the way they mislead the public.

They had a download page, prepared with tutorials for all the devices. Today, after the announcement they removed the 3g & 3gs from the links. They also never responded to any of my tweets (or anyone elses) regarding 3gs support.

I really had my hopes up, I even told everyone around the office with phones, even family & friends that it would be just a little longer before an unlock would be developed. Now we are back to square one, hoping, waiting etc..

sorry but my patience has run out, im going to sell off this iphone & never again will I buy another apple product, because it has left such a poor taste in my mouth.

This is what I get for having my phone replaced under warrenty..**** is all i have to say.

***PS For all of you who still think the 3gs is supported, read this link: GreenPois0n 4.1 Jailbreak: iPhone 4 Only – Are you Disappointed? : Product Reviews Net
    Last edited by philster; 2010-10-08 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philster View Post
    Im really disapointed in the dev team, not because they didnt include the 3gs, but the way they mislead the public.

They had a download page, prepared with tutorials for all the devices. Today, after the announcement they removed the 3g & 3gs from the links. They also never responded to any of my tweets (or anyone elses) regarding 3gs support.

I really had my hopes up, I even told everyone around the office with phones, even family & friends that it would be just a little longer before an unlock would be developed. Now we are back to square one, hoping, waiting etc..

sorry but my patience has run out, im going to sell off this iphone & never again will I buy another apple product, because it has left such a poor taste in my mouth.

This is what I get for having my phone replaced under warrenty..**** is all i have to say.

***PS For all of you who still think the 3gs is supported, read this link: GreenPois0n 4.1 Jailbreak: iPhone 4 Only – Are you Disappointed? : Product Reviews Net
    Wow and the word your looking for is "Jailbreak" NOT "unlock"
    And not to bad I'm 3GS on 4.0.1 I want HDR photos but I use winterboard so I really don't care just as long as it happens so I can sell this as unlocked on eBay and use that money for an iphone4

if they were more clear on what devices this supported it wouldn't have created half the hype for them.. just a marketing ploy..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    if they were more clear on what devices this supported it wouldn't have created half the hype for them.. just a marketing ploy..
    They said it was an exploit for the A4 chip, which most people know is in the iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4G.

We all just assumed it was for any device. The devs didn't mislead anyone. They reported first thing about SHAtter that it was an exploit within the A4 chip.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philster View Post

***PS For all of you who still think the 3gs is supported, read this link: GreenPois0n 4.1 Jailbreak: iPhone 4 Only Are you Disappointed? : Product Reviews Net
    Whichever site you were looking at, it had nothing to do with any dev group. In fact, all along they said not to trust any sites other than Chronic Dev's.

Also, an unlock hasn't even been mentioned.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yep, in fact the devs personally stated that there is no unlock in development because they wanted all hands on deck for the work on the new jb.

And as for the not buying Apple products again thing...if a jb is the only reason you wanted an iPhone then that's no reason to have an iPhone. If you just needed the jb for an unlock, well it's unfortunate you didn't/couldn't back up your SHSHs or sell your device for another that's unlockable. The iPhone is made to be for AT&T right now, perhaps think about going to AT&T. without the devs, there wouldn't even be a possibility to use an iPhone on another GSM network. So all I can say is, it's not Apple products that suck and it's not the devs that suck, it's up to you whether you find a workaround to jb and unlock your phone with the tools the devs provide. If the tools aren't available, then you can sell and get another iPhone that's jb/unlockable or get another phone. Not trying to be mean, just speaking from a patient and respectful standpoint.

i generally don't buy high dollar devices unless they can be hacked.. i wont keep a i device that cant be jail-broke.. just not nearly as fun.. i am currently looking for a 3gs with shsh files then i will sell my locked iphone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12