Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneBrowser work on non JB phone?

Default iPhoneBrowser work on non JB phone?
    I thought iPhoneBrowser only worked on JB phones.

Can you use it on a non JB phone?

Nope..only JB

I just plugged mine in (iPhone 4, 4.0.2, 01.59.00) and it will actually browse the folders, even though it's not JB...

I used it to pull some pics and video off the phone

Wait is this a computer app or an iPhone app? And can u see the root folders? Like private..var..mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Wait is this a computer app or an iPhone app? And can u see the root folders? Like private..var..mobile
    iPhoneBrowser is a Windows program where you can browse your iPhone's files by just plugging it in your computer. If you're jailbroken, you can see all of the folders. If you arent jailbroken, I think you can only see the basic folders like pics and videos...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

^right, you won't be able to access root folders without jb and installing afc2add from Cydia to enable it for iPhoneBrowser, iFunBox, and DiskAid.

You CAN use it on non jb phone, but access to the file system is very limited.

Thanks all....like you said, without JB, access to the files is very limited.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sprung View Post
    I just plugged mine in (iPhone 4, 4.0.2, 01.59.00) and it will actually browse the folders, even though it's not JB...

I used it to pull some pics and video off the phone
    Yh but you can't see every dir (root or var) you can only see a few specific folders

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Not anything other than /var/mobile/Media, and be thankful for it. It's a security measure that makes it a real pain for someone who steals your phone to steal your data too.
    I really wish there was a way to keep it locked down even when jailbroken, since there's no lack of more secure ways to get data on/off your phone (like SSH, or copying to /Media/ then using iFile).

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

^that's not the main reason, it's more for apple's security, if we had root access straight off the bat, there would be no need to jailbreak as all files would be directly accessible..
    I'm not saying your wrong, just that that isn't the main reason
    It would be sweet to be able to "lock it down" as you say, I don't think there is currently a way to do that :/ other than removing afc2add...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Oh I'm sure, same with all hardware restrictions. But it's also a an important selling point for business users (i.e. anyone who doesn't want to buy 2 phones).

A phone is more like a PC than a USB flash drive, and being able to simply plug it in and copy everything off it is not a desirable feature.