Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Music....coming from a blackberry

Default Music....coming from a blackberry
    Hi I have a pretty decent music collection. Nothing fancy. It's either mp3 that I converted or purchased. I have it set up in files by Artists. With my bb I just plug in and drag over whatever music I want for the week.

Well now I have an iPhone 3GS and I'm leery about iTunes. I've heard that if you import it all that it changes it and there's no going back

I am thinking of buying an external hard drive so that I have s good backup.

Any other ideas? I want to be able to transfer music over to both the berry and iPhone. Thx

Wait, what exactly are you afraid of? Importing it into iTunes or syncing it to your phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ditch that POS blackberry and stick with a real smartphone.

I'm concerned that once I put everything in iTunes that I'll lose the functionality to drag and drop music to my blackberry because all the music will be in iTunes and that I'll only be able to play music on the iPhone because iTunes will change all my files. I'm pretty proficient on iPhones and blackberry but not so smart with music. I still want to keep my nice familiar library that took me lots of time to build. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by juiceguy View Post
    Ditch that POS blackberry and stick with a real smartphone.
    That's not nice...hee hee. I really like both and I had even considered ditching the bb but I can't get my work exchange mail. They don't use active sync and said they are in a 2000 server so it's bb for work email...for now

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever music you import to itunes will still be in the original place, itunes takes its own copy of the file. So you have nothing to worry about.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Def change the prefs to save it's own copy not just copy the link. I don't remember how but simple google search. This way if you ever change a name or delete a file from the original folder it won't screw up iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
    Def change the prefs to save it's own copy not just copy the link. I don't remember how but simple google search. This way if you ever change a name or delete a file from the original folder it won't screw up iTunes.
    Good point. Its in iTunes' preferences under the Advanced tab. So when you import any song to iTunes, it will make its own copy of the mp3 file so you can have your independent mp3 file where you had it and the iTunes copy so all of your iTunes music is in one folder organized very nicely...

Super. Thanks all I did not realize that my original file would remain intact. I'll check the preferences and try it.