Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Where r my backed up apps?!

Exclamation Where r my backed up apps?!
    About a month ago (actually to be precise, around August 15th 2010), my ipt3 got wet and broke. To make a long story short, I tried to airdry the internals of my former ipt3, but it never worked again. I figured that I would wait to buy the new ipt4 to replace my now dead ipt3. I bought one on Friday, but had to go on a camping trip and had no time to restore my ipt3 backup nor even activate my new ipt4 (and I was planning on taking some pics/vids/sound clips of a Smashmouth/Tyler Bryant concert)!

Thank god I made a manually backup of my music, vids, and bookmarks for safari and ifile, and also .opml files for my podcast and RSS reader via i-funbox only a week before that tradegy! The only things I didn't manually backup were apps and iTunes music I downloaded (which was very few). I did a automatic backup via iTunes, so I figured that iTunes' backup would restore my apps and downloaded iTunes content if I were in a jam. I just activated my new ipt4 today, and was pretty happy to see that iTunes said that another ipt (my now-dead ipt3) was registered to this computer, and asked if I would like to transfer the ipt3 backup to my new ipt4.

I was pretty happy about the fact that iTunes was restoring the backup... but, all it did was backup my settings! No iTunes nor appstore apps were restored, wtf?! Oddly enough, when I check my iTunes account, it still holds a record of the things I formerly bought. I assumed that, similar to the PSP's PSN-content, whenever you buy something, even if you delete the downloaded content, you can always go back to PSN and re-download the content for free, because it kept a record of your purchase. I checked to see if this were true for the Appstore and idevices. I went to my "purchase history" from my iTunes account to see what I previously downloaded, and then checked to see if I could re-download one of those apps from iTunes. Nothing, I have to repay for my apps ...

So, does the automatic iTunes backup also backup apps and downloaded iTunes content, or was I supposed to backup the stuff onto my PC? Or was I supposed to sync. Any help from me would be appreciated!
    ---------------------

iPT specs:

Specs on old ipt3:
    FW 3.1.2
    Blackra1ned (tethered)
    8gb, 3rd gen, new bootrom

Specs on new ipt4
    FW 4.1 (8B117)
    Jailed
    8gb, 4th gen, Model MC540LL
    Bought only a week after US release

Hmm, I answered my own question. Even though price tags in iTunes/AppStore are still there for stuff I already bought, tapping the price tag and downloading any previously bought content allows you to redownload it for free. Moreover, iTunes autobackup also backsup app data for previously bought AppStore apps, stock iOS apps, and maybe cydia apps (I'm jailed ATM) *Facepalms n00bish self*

For iTunes content tho, I don't know if you have to rebuy content, I'll chk

Well, since I just made a fool of myself, let me slightly redeem myself by telling any readers of this worthless thread a little find I found while restoring my settings and data from old ipt3. My previous, now broken ipt3 was blackra1ned on FW 3.1.2. It seems as if the iTunes backup also saved some tweaks from the JBd device and carried them over to my new, jailed ipt4 4.1, because, as you will see in the following pictures, my carrier name is "Tamkis" (me), and my battery indicator has percentage activated. Not only that, but see the notes picture; it has a third column with my carrier name. Odd, but interesting. Both of those are just plist tweaks that I believe iTunes carried over, nothing to get to excited about...

First off, i wouldn't recommend restoring a phone with ios4 from a backup with ios3. It might cause some problems in the future, so better to set up as new phone.

But yea restoring just gets ur settings and pics back, everything else has to be synced. And those status bar tweaks get carried along with the backup so they work even on a non-JB phone like you said.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Just rediwnload the apps from AS, it still says but now but you won't be charged

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

You already knew that...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    First off, i wouldn't recommend restoring a phone with ios4 from a backup with ios3. It might cause some problems in the future, so better to set up as new phone.

But yea restoring just gets ur settings and pics back, everything else has to be synced. And those status bar tweaks get carried along with the backup so they work even on a non-JB phone like you said.
    Btw, I was using my former iPT3g backup for my new iPT4g. Gen AND FW vs only FW. Not that that really makes much of a difference . By problems, do you mean problems when using a future JB? Or just ios version settings conflicts? It's not too late for me to download a clean ios4.1, I can just use ifunbox to manually backup any new stuff or restored stuff on mipod since restoring (pics &c). I wonder if any other tweaks carried over, I haven't seen anything else, other than what I mentioned...

Sry if it seems if I was rambling earlier, I somewhat panicked. I verified that you DO have to rebuy iTunes music (=-$), scamulous epic ifail. Luckily, I don't buy much music from iTunes, but still, I think I'll get my old downloads by "alternative methods". That's just not right having to rebuy iTunes content...

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi app