Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Jailbreak--Unlocking Question

iPhone? More like MyPhone krUnIzZlE3's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Jailbreak--Unlocking Question
    Hello I live in India, my dad is currently in the states and he is going to get me a 32GB iPhone, (YAAAY!!!!!) but the question is, in another forum, i was told not to buy since there wont be a jailbreak or unlock for 4.1, and in the future there would only be jailbreak's and no unlocking. Is it true??? i am so confused.. this is not fair

what should i do? i dont mind waiting for the unlock to be released but im just so confused i have no idea what happening right now. I know i would be able to activate the phone from itunes with the AT&T sim card provided. Correct me if i am wrong... Should i tell my dad NOT to get the iphone or what should i do exactly??? All i know is the dev team found a permanent exploit in the A4 chip which would be good for jailbreaking but i have no news about unlocking. any tips will be helpful.

Thank You

P.S. Its been almost 3/4 years since i joined MMI. Hooray 4 Me!. :P
    Last edited by krUnIzZlE3; 2010-09-26 at 03:07 PM.
    AT&T iPhone 4 Officially Unlocked

*Color: Black
    *Capacity: 32GB
    *Software Version: 5.0.1
    *Jailbroken -------------------------- ./
    *Bootloader: 1.59.00
    *Unlocked --------------------------- ./
    **Press Tha "Thanks" Button if I've Helped You!**

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no unlock nor is one going to be released any time soon for the new base band that 4.1 installs. Your best bet is to buy a factory unlocked phone.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    There is no unlock nor is one going to be released any time soon for the new base band that 4.1 installs. Your best bet is to buy a factory unlocked phone.

DAMN, so then there is no point in buying one right??? So this SUCKS.....

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Have him buy a factory unlocked one. He would have had to sign a two year contract for an AT&T one. Factory unlocked I 4 is about $800
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Have him buy a factory unlocked one. He would have had to sign a two year contract for an AT&T one. Factory unlocked I 4 is about $800

The problem is that we dont know anyone in canada or the UK. which is a bit of a problem for me.... so i guess ill go for the Nokia N8. i got no other choice. DAMN

Hi tell ur dad to buy from ebay or graiglist , i am sure he can find previous fw with unlockable
    Baseband ip4 phone for $550 to 600.

Thanks

my dad is buying a iphone from Sane Jose,California and what are the chances of me getting a iphone with 4.01 ???? Also if i get 4.02, will i be screwed???? and what about 4.1 ?? i want to know everything. im in india, need to unlock also...... please help.....

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You won't be screwed if he can get one on 4.0.2 the most cuz the baseband hasn't been upgraded for that yet. It's just a matter of waiting for the new jailbreak, but it's still unlockable.

A factory unlocked from Canada would be great though, they're around $670/$730 (not 100% sure on those prices but that's close) for 16GB and 32GB respectively. If he could just somehow get to Canada, haha. On eBay the fac unlocked ones are so awfully expensive :/

Even the ones that aren't unlocked but on a previous fw/baseband, they can still get pretty pricey on eBay.

But the answer to your question is, the firmware can be on 4.0.2 and still be unlockable, just gotta wait a few days for the new jb. If it's on 4.1, it's not worth it, the unlock is screwed. If it's 4.0.1, it'll be perfect but chances are, the new iP4 are all coming out with either 4.0.2 or 4.1. Mine came with 4.0.2 and this was about 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-28 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You won't be screwed if he can get one on 4.0.2 the most cuz the baseband hasn't been upgraded for that yet. It's just a matter of waiting for the new jailbreak, but it's still unlockable.

A factory unlocked from Canada would be great though, they're around $670/$730 (not 100% sure on those prices but that's close) for 16GB and 32GB respectively. If he could just somehow get to Canada, haha. On eBay the fac unlocked ones are so awfully expensive :/

Even the ones that aren't unlocked but on a previous fw/baseband, they can still get pretty pricey on eBay.

But the answer to your question is, the firmware can be on 4.0.2 and still be unlockable, just gotta wait a few days for the new jb. If it's on 4.1, it's not worth it, the unlock is screwed. If it's 4.0.1, it'll be perfect but chances are, the new iP4 are all coming out with either 4.0.2 or 4.1. Mine came with 4.0.2 and this was about 2 weeks ago.

Well, all they had was 4.1 and my dad bought it. im getting mixed answers from all over... saying 4.02 wont b unlocked or jailbroken, 4.1 will be. and people are saying the opposite here....

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I can tell you we here on MMi are most likely correct. Unfortunately, I think you're mixing it up a little. 4.1 will be jailbroken in time, maybe soon even. The new baseband that comes with it for all devices, will not be unlocked at this time. It might take a month, it might take up to 3 or 4 months; there is currently no talk on the unlock as of right now since the devs mentioned they are working hard on the jailbreak and need all hands possible. The unlock is not going to be available soon, but the jailbreak will be.

So your 4.1 iP4 will not be unlocked for a bit of time. I'm sorry to say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I can tell you we here on MMi are most likely correct. Unfortunately, I think you're mixing it up a little. 4.1 will be jailbroken in time, maybe soon even. The new baseband that comes with it for all devices, will not be unlocked at this time. It might take a month, it might take up to 3 or 4 months; there is currently no talk on the unlock as of right now since the devs mentioned they are working hard on the jailbreak and need all hands possible. The unlock is not going to be available soon, but the jailbreak will be.

So your 4.1 iP4 will not be unlocked for a bit of time. I'm sorry to say.

Yea, i been here since i had my first iPhone 2G in 2007. I trust MMi more then other forums. But, yesterday, there was a twitter from the chronicdevteam saying "To those asking about unlock: At this time, only the jailbreak is being worked on, as it requires the team's full attention." which you have said.... but Lets say 4.2 Will be released, i have a feeling the Dev's will just release the jailbreak for 4.2 since the BETA is already out and they will come out with a jailbreak & unlock for 4.2 instead of wasting time on 4.1 but thats just my guess.... And since the jailbreak can be done via the A4 chip, it wont really matter but thats just me.... tell me what you think????? And also, Once i get my iphone, on October 28th, how do i activate?? i can use the iphone as a ipod right??? Can i activate with the AT&T card that comes with it and not go for a plan or anything?????
    Last edited by krUnIzZlE3; 2010-09-29 at 12:00 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think yes, the next step is probably to unlock once they get the new jb out. I would think that it could take a but of time tho.

As for activating, yes get an AT&T SIM. Any AT&T SIM will work.

Apparently, work on the unlock isn't even going to start until after the jailbreak is done and released. I'm guessing we'll be waiting till Christmas.

hey..plz help...i live in india
    my brother jus bring me a iphone 4 from calefornia on 2nd feb....it has version 4.1 bt i have upgrade it to 4.2 nd after that i have jail breaked it through green poison nd now when i switch on d iphone it says that """"INSERT A VALID SIM WITH NO PIN LOCK TO ACTIVATE IPHONE""""
    what shud i do plz heeeelllllp....