Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 at 4.1. Unlock possible?

Default iPhone 4 at 4.1. Unlock possible?
    My iPhone 4 is currently at os 4.1 and baseband 2.10.04. Will I be able to successfully jailbreak and unlock once the latest jailbreak (greepoison) is released? Thanks.

You will be able to jailbreak but not unlock

Like A Boss

Ahh damn. That's bad. Is there anyway to downgrade the baseband? The phone has never been jailbroken so I guess no SHSH blobs were ever backed up. Will there be a new ultrasn0w? If not, is there an unlock sim like the one for the iphone 3g a while back (hard unlock instead of soft)?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

You are out of luck no way to downgrade baseband, and there is no unlock slated for the new bb
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Has the devteam stated that 2.10.04 will eventually be unlockable or that they're at least working on it? Do you know anything about a hardware unlock? Is there any way to take my phone somewhere and have it unlocked the same way a factory unlock is done? I'm guessing the latter is impossible but I'm pretty desperate right now since I'm overseas and need to unlock to use my phone..

Thanks

There is 100% no way to unlock your phone right now. The dev team has made no post about unlocking the new baseband. You will be waiting a long time for a new unlock. Also no company can unlock your phone no matter what they say or charge.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Noooooooooooo. Well this sucks. How long do you think? Anyways thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks

I think It was about 6 months in-between the last last two unlocks.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-09-30 at 03:30 AM.

Ahh wtf. Pointless in buying this iphone then since I plan on getting the next one. Do you recall those unlock sims that came out a while back where you stack it with your regular sim and insert them together into the sim tray? Would something like that work for the iphone 4?

I'm sorry I know I'm being redundant but finding this out right now really hurts. Basically I want to make sure that you are sure there is 100 percent no solution for my situation right now..

Thanks

Never heard of those sims but I doubt they work, if they did you would see it stated somewhere on this site.

Ok. Going out on a limb here..can I use someone else's saved SHSH blobs from an earlier firmware to downgrade?

No u can't and that won't make a difference, you can downgrade firmware but you can't downgrade ur baseband. All you can do is sell it and buy another with a lower baseband

why didnt u buy a factory unlocked iphone 4? there are tons on ebay. I even sold mine at profit to buy a 32gb haha.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jabij1 View Post
    My iPhone 4 is currently at os 4.1 and baseband 2.10.04. Will I be able to successfully jailbreak and unlock once the latest jailbreak (greepoison) is released? Thanks.
    If you saved SHSH blobs for 4.0.2 or earlier, then you should be able to downgrade the baseband. I tried it with iOS 4.1 pre public release, restoring to 4.0.2 and it worked. My baseband down graded. Then updated to 4.1 with TinyUmbrella active and now have 4.1 with 1.59 baseband.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-09-27 at 05:21 AM.

i don't think you can unlock it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The baseband won't be downgraded even if you downgrade the firmware. It seems to be a fluke or did something right with preserving the baseband without knowing. Done this on my 3G and the baseband remains the same after a downgrade of fw.

It's best to sell the phone and get another if an unlock is necessary. I can remember on 2.x the unlock came out 3-5 months later after my friend upgraded her phone stupidly. She had sold it by then of course. But I didn't upgrade and had a turboSIM to work with until the software unlock came out months later. Btw turboSIMs (which is what one of you were talking about earlier) do not work anymore.