Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying an iPhone 4 on ebay/online?

Default Buying an iPhone 4 on ebay/online?
    Hi all,

I've done a fair bit of research about this on the forums, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. I'm looking to buy an iPhone 4. I currently have a legit contract with AT&T, so I don't need an unlock. However, I don't really want to renew my contract at this time because I'm hoping the iPhone will be coming to more carriers in January and I'll be able to jump ship. I've been looking into buying one on ebay, but I've heard of problems activating the phone. So, I have some questions, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

1. I've heard that AT&T has somehow locked its iPhone 4's to the original SIM card it ships with. This means the phone can only be activated with the account information of the person who bought it, even if you use another SIM. Is this true? If it is, is it only a one-time problem, or will I have to deal with this every time I restore or upgrade the phone's firmware? Are there any ways around this problem?

2. If I buy a factory unlocked model on ebay, will I be able to activate it with an AT&T microSIM?

3. Where can I buy an AT&T microSIM? I'm guessing any iPhone 4 bought on ebay will ship without a SIM. Is there any way to modify my iPad's SIM to work with the iPhone 4?

Since I already have AT&T, I don't really need an unlocked model. However, I don't want to buy one that is tied to AT&T, only to be unable to activate it. Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If u order online it might be locked to the original sim, but not if it's bought in the store. Check with the seller where they bought it. Most of them can work with any AT&T sim

You can get a microsim from AT&T. Just go to a corporate store or call them and order over phone. It should be like $10. Or you can cut our old one, it's not hard.

You don't need a factory unlocked iPhone, don't waste money on it, they're almost double price.

i wouldn't reccomend it.
    if you look on here, someone got conned.