Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia?

Default Cydia?
    Anyone else mad about cydia buying rock? Well anyways
    Are there any other app stores other than Cydia, rock, and *********?
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-09-25 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Talk about cracked apps/warez/piracy is not allowed; neither are the repos that host them.

One of those items you mentioned is not a store it is a place that steals others work.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

j3st3r (2010-09-25)

Thanks

I still can not grasp why anyone would be mad that cydia purchased Rock...it's mind boggling, there is also the AppStore where you can purchase the apps that the above mentioned thieves steal their apps from

Thank you mr honorable,
    I don't like the way cydia is set up, I thought that rock was way more user friendly. Cydia seems so unorganized. (not to mention slow)

Thanks

I guess it's just me but slower and stable wins the race over faster and buggy any day

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ragecody View Post
    Cydia seems so unorganized. (not to mention slow)
    1. How is Cydia unorganized?

2. Buy an iPhone 4 and you wont notice any slowness to it.

Thanks

not slow on a 3GS either

Rock was way more organized, I have an iPhone 4 and I thought that rock was way easier to navigate. I guess it's all down to personal preference. I never had any bug problems with rock btw.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 2010-10-02 at 07:54 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I always had a harder time with Rock. I guess it's personal preference.

Rock utilized codes that increased speed and allowed for resprings/reboots to be delayed in the wrong ways. It's more damaging than good in the long run. I always dealt with Cydia's "slowness" cuz it is the one and only original developed by Saurik, who knows what he is doing

Think of it as a good deed for us jailbreakers that Saurik took over. Like paganizonda has been running around all over the place saying (lol) "slow and steady wins the race".

Edit: is that you pagani or j3st3r3 running around the forums saying the slow and steady thing? Lol, sorry I'm tired.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-26 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

lol, tha'd be J3st3r3 i believe; it assuredly isn't me.

Thanks

not me either but whomever it is would be correct

Since Rock has now officially merged with Cydia, there is another option: Icy 4.0.

To get Icy 4.0, Google repo URLs that have Icy 4.0. I have currently found 2 that do.

So basically the two app stores currently available are Cydia and Icy.

I hope this helped! Icy is definitely a nice alternative to Cydia.
    Last edited by Julcello692; 2010-10-02 at 05:45 PM.
    Julcello692

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Julcello692 For This Useful Post:

wildgunman999 (2010-10-15)

Thanks

Rock had its perks. For instance, changing SSH password. In Cydia, its a loooooong drawn out terminal how to. Then ride a donkey to the top of the mountain. Look for a dude named Bill. Pat your head, rub your belly and hop in a circle on one foot, ask nicely, and let Cydia reload data 8 times and bam. Maybe your password is changed, if its Tuesday after 9 pm CST*.

*Some restrictions apply. See store for details.

In Rock, type a password. Click done. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cydia, but in some areas Rock pwned Cydia so bad.

But the faster rendering speeds were due to unsafe shortcuts.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Julcello692 View Post
    Since Rock has now officially merged with Cydia, there is another option: Icy 4.0.

To get Icy 4.0, add the source

So basically the two app stores currently available are Cydia and Icy.

I hope this helped! Icy is definitely a nice alternative to Cydia.
    Cydia is by far better than Icy. Why would anyone want to intall that?

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Rock had its perks. For instance, changing SSH password. In Cydia, its a loooooong drawn out terminal how to. Then ride a donkey to the top of the mountain. Look for a dude named Bill. Pat your head, rub your belly and hop in a circle on one foot, ask nicely, and let Cydia reload data 8 times and bam. Maybe your password is changed, if its Tuesday after 9 pm CST*.

*Some restrictions apply. See store for details.

In Rock, type a password. Click done. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cydia, but in some areas Rock pwned Cydia so bad.

But the faster rendering speeds were due to unsafe shortcuts.
    I get that the process is longer, but what you're describing is silly. It's what? 5 commands to change the root password from Terminal?
    Last edited by z3r01; 2010-10-02 at 03:08 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

I had no issues with Rock, do miss the new releases section it had. With Cydia I dont have it. Cydia needs to be organized to be more user friendly. I am sure Saurik is way too busy with other things.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's what the "changes" page is for. The new releases or new items you add via new repos show up there.

Yup, just go to the "Changes" tab in Cydia and it should let you know the new updates!

And I'm just letting you know that there is another current app store other than Cydia that you can use. I was answering your original question.
    Last edited by Julcello692; 2010-10-02 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I detest Cydia. It is slow, ugly and buggy- and I never had any issues with Rock, so forgive me for not understanding what is so steady about this slowness. And I use a 3gs.
    'Changes'? More like 'Time-out'- takes minutes and minutes to load. Respring after every move- what's THAT? Plus the darned Cydia constantly throws up pointless and irritating error msgs that mean nothing.
    Ah yes, I upgraded to 4.1 in the middle of the Rock sellout, only to find out that Cydia didn't carry over the Rock ID idea. Time to sit down and reload apps one by one till nausea sets in.
    Rock guys, whoever you are, you let us down big time. I'm heading over to check out this Icy 4.0; hope it Rocks My Phone.
    Sell-outs.
    Last edited by wildgunman999; 2010-10-15 at 08:13 AM. Reason: semantics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildgunman999 View Post
    I detest Cydia. It is slow, ugly and buggy- and I never had any issues with Rock, so forgive me for not understanding what is so steady about this slowness. And I use a 3gs.
    'Changes'? More like 'Time-out'- takes minutes and minutes to load. Respring after every move- what's THAT? Plus the darned Cydia constantly throws up pointless and irritating error msgs that mean nothing.
    Ah yes, I upgraded to 4.1 in the middle of the Rock sellout, only to find out that Cydia didn't carry over the Rock ID idea. Time to sit down and reload apps one by one till nausea sets in.
    Rock guys, whoever you are, you let us down big time. I'm heading over to check out this Icy 4.0; hope it Rocks My Phone.
    Sell-outs.
    Boohoo.

1.Visit Cydia more often to decrease load times.
    2. Buy an iPhone 4. After selling the 3GS on eBay it will hardly cost you anything out of pocket.
    3. Invest in St. Ive's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast