Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore firmware with tinyumbrella in dfu mode??

Default Restore firmware with tinyumbrella in dfu mode??
    So if I buy an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 that has no SHSHs backed up, that means if I crash it I'm screwed since I'll have to restore with iTunes which will get me to 4.1. I can live with that since the 4.1 jailbreak will come out soon anyway

Problem is, I have tmobile, so I can't upgrade the baseband. I know you can restore with tinyumbrella, but what if it crashes and goes into recovery mode? Or even DFU mode? Would tinyumbrella still be able to restore it or would I have to go to iTunes? Which means it'll upgrade my baseband...any workaround? Can I make a custom 4.1 ipsw that has the old baseband and restore to that in iTunes?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

Chtibi (2010-09-25)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When restoring with TinyUmbrella, you're not actually using TU to restore, you're using iTunes. TU simply edits the hosts file so iTunes contacts TU's local server instead of Apple's server. You will be able to restore just fine and your baseband will not be updated.

Additionally, restoring while your hosts file points to Saurik's server will also prevent the baseband upgrade. I found out myself when I got my new phone and at first didn't understand why I couldn't do a regular restore without getting an error (1004). Turned out I had forgotten that I had edited my hosts file.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Oh I see thanks a lot. But how exactly does this work? I mean, how does changing the server prevent the baseband? I thought all the server does is trick iTunes into thinking that the firmware is approved, I don't ser how it can modify the actual ipsw file

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Oh I see thanks a lot. But how exactly does this work? I mean, how does changing the server prevent the baseband? I thought all the server does is trick iTunes into thinking that the firmware is approved, I don't ser how it can modify the actual ipsw file
    It's because Apple changed the way a restore works. Now there's two separate signatures needed. One for the firmware itself and one for the baseband. What TU, and Saurik's server, now does is provide the first signature, but when iTunes requests the second signature, the one for the baseband, TU/Saurik doesn't provide it. Then the baseband change fails and the restore ends with a 1004 error. This is fine since the firmware is correctly restored before the baseband restore fails. You get out of the 1004 error using the 'Kick device ...' option in TU.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Waleed786 (2010-09-25)

Cool thanks a lot bro, couldn't have asked for a better explanation

Can someone explain to me what these 'signatures' are?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TEEC33 View Post
    Can someone explain to me what these 'signatures' are?
    They are exactly that, signatures. Whenever you want to restore/up- or downgrade, you send a request to Apple. Either they sign that request or they don't. These signatures can not be forged.

Thanks
    I have the Iphone 3g on 3.1.3 jailbroken and unlocked using Ultrasnow from cydia. i want to update to at least 4.0.1 and keep the phone unlocked, is this possible without screwing anything up ?
    new to the unlock and jailbreak stuff so a bit worried about losing them
    (Oh i am also using Windows 7 and Itunes 9.0.3.15)
    if this is to do with a host file, can someone post the contents as i have edited mine and still doesnt allow me to upgrade to 4.0.1

thanks in advance for any replies :-)
    Newbie to IPhone
    so any help will have to be EASY for me