Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs on 4.0.1 suddenly wont start

Unhappy 3Gs on 4.0.1 suddenly wont start
    I have been running the OS 4.0.1 jailbroken with JBme for weeks. All of the sudden this morning I discover the phone is dead. Only this time it will not turn on anymore.

iTunes says it needs to be restored, only I dont want to restore it to 4.1 because there is no unlock for it.

I do have have my SHSH files on Cydia, but still restoring failes though the hosts file has been modified to talk to Saurik's server. Have tried Sn0wbreeze 2.0...... dont seem to get around it

Why is this happening? And has anyone had this problem?

Host file on pc as been modified...
    You've already downloaded 4.0.1 from a safe place
    Connect iPhone to iTunes
    Initiate a dfu
    Shift+restore, click on 4.0.1
    Done

I'm doing this off the top of my head sorry for the lack of details such as linky's

Quote Originally Posted by ironhelix View Post
    Host file on pc as been modified...
    You've already downloaded 4.0.1 from a safe place
    Connect iPhone to iTunes
    Initiate a dfu
    Shift+restore, click on 4.0.1
    Done

I'm doing this off the top of my head sorry for the lack of details such as linky's
    Check on all of those, I have even used Tiny Umbrella and saved my SHSH files locally, and while doing the restore on iTunes I can see the request is being made to Tiny and the response, but after a few seconds the iPhone disconnects again and the restore process fails with "unknown error 28".

While researching, I have seen on Apples website that they say you would have to have access on port 80 and 443 to phobos.apple.com, albert.apple.com, gs.apple.com

I can only ping gs.apple.com (and this is the one I redirect to Sauriks server in my hosts file) do I need to do anything about the other two?

Also, a few minutes ago and in desperation I tried to upgrade to 4.1, cleared the hosts file and everything but still get error 28...

Thanks for your help.

Error 28
    Some say it's the kiss if death others were able to recover from it.
    I'll bet my money that we'll unbrick your phone.
    Search in modmyi "error 28"
    I have googled "error 28 fix or solution" I'm very hopeful that one of those suggestions will work.
    Last edited by ironhelix; 2010-09-26 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Not done yet

Thanks Ironhelix, I have tried google and every other forum that I have found out there this weekend, I have tried so many differnt things that I have screwed up the USB drivers on my W7 workstation and I have reinstall it all over again.... Have concluded that I will take the risk if sending the brick back to Apple and see what they say

Here is an overview of what I already have tried http://modmyi.com/forums/general/730...stuck-dfu.html

I ended up sending my 3Gs to Apple since it was under warranty. And with no buts and ifs I got a replacement unit, brand new only I got it with FW 4.0.2 so now gotta wait for a JB

But am still impressed how smooth it all went