Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Why the (...) did I choose iPhone 4

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
    You people know nothing! If you don't know the correct answer, then don't post. There are no viruses for iPhone. Even if there was, it would only be for Jailbroken iPhones. The iPhone CANNOT get viruses because it is a closed operating system. And Flash has nothing to do with getting viruses. The only way that you could get a virus on the iPhone, is if someone created one, which they haven't yet, and you were on a firmware version below 4.0.2 with the Safari PDF exploit unpatched. The iPhone runs security checks, the applications and processes must be signed, or authorized by Apple before they can run. Forging Apple's electronic signature or authorization certificate is illegal and prosecutable as well.
    How would it be only for jailbroken iPhones? Do you think the Dev teams are the only people in the world looking for vulnerabilities in iDevices and their os?

    Obviously there are ways around the security checks that allow unauthorized code to be executed.

    As far as forging their e-signature goes, do you think people who are making viruses really care about the legality of forging the signature???

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    How would it be only for jailbroken iPhones? Do you think the Dev teams are the only people in the world looking for vulnerabilities in iDevices and their os?

    Obviously there are ways around the security checks that allow unauthorized code to be executed.

    As far as forging their e-signature goes, do you think people who are making viruses really care about the legality of forging the signature???
    It would only be for Jailbroken iPhones because a Jailbroken iPhone is not locked to /var/mobile/Media, it has full root access. Which is what would need to be obtained. By the time a hacker was to be able to find a security hole in Safari, create a way to insert executable code through the hole, and gain root access to the device, would probably give Apple or someone else enough time to report and patch the hole. As soon as the virus was released, if it hadn't already been patched, Apple would most likely have the whole iOS development team focus on a fix for that exploit, and release it the next day. This happened a few years ago with an exploit within the Messages application.

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone PReCioSa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Renton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    omg whatever this dude is obviously an idiot lol! I'm 21 going on 22 and believe me if u put me in a room for 5 minutes with ur phone u would never be able to figure out how to get back in ur phone with or without a pass key. I've made my ex's phone useless he had to go out and buy a new phone cause he couldn't get his txting internet or phone calls to work lol. so don't sit there and tell me I'm stupid when clearly I'm not the stupid one here. I probably no more about phones and computers then u and I'm an iPhone developer for apple so go screw ur self.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PReCioSa View Post
    omg whatever this dude is obviously an idiot lol! I'm 21 going on 22 and believe me if u put me in a room for 5 minutes with ur phone u would never be able to figure out how to get back in ur phone with or without a pass key. I've made my ex's phone useless he had to go out and buy a new phone cause he couldn't get his txting internet or phone calls to work lol. so don't sit there and tell me I'm stupid when clearly I'm not the stupid one here. I probably no more about phones and computers then u and I'm an iPhone developer for apple so go screw ur self.
    I too was an Apple developer, until my account was terminated. And trust me, I know a lot more than you about computers, iPhones, and cell phones in general. Oh and by the way, I have MobileMe FindMyiPhone installed so I can just reset the passcode that way, or SSH into my phone and type "rm /private/var/Keychains/Keychain-2.db" and then type "respring", or "reboot". But let's say I'm not connected to WiFi, or I have my SSH server turned off, then I can plug it into an application like PhoneView or iPhone Explorer and utilize the afc2add hack to remove the file that stores the passcode. Sorry pal, but I just explained a simple, extremely simple method of reversing your attempted malicious action, in which you had no idea about whatsoever. How about you do some more research next time, then get back to me? Here's a good place to start.

    Main Page - The iPhone Wiki

    Oh and by the way, I'm 14. And you're 21.

  5. #25
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    It would only be for Jailbroken iPhones because a Jailbroken iPhone is not locked to /var/mobile/Media, it has full root access.
    No, any hacked iDevice can gain root access. On this part I think we just have different views as to what the term jailbroken means. I always think of it more as the end product that results from exploits used by legitimate hackers (Geohot, Dev Team, etc.) rather than the broader view of it just referring to having root access to an iDevice.

    By the time a hacker was to be able to find a security hole in Safari, create a way to insert executable code through the hole, and gain root access to the device, would probably give Apple or someone else enough time to report and patch the hole.
    By that logic we would never have jailbreaks.

    This happened a few years ago with an exploit within the Messages application.
    Yes, and that exploit was only realized and fixed by Apple because an honest hacker/programmer learned of it and turned it over to Apple. This also doesn't fix anything unless the iDevice user updates the iOS. Otherwise, the vulnerabilities will still remain and be exploitable by malicious hackers. You would be surprised at how seldom "normal" iDevice owners update the software on their devices. Being that all of us here are fairly up to date techies, we update our devices a lot more than the average user. I know people still on 3.x just because they are that out of the loop in terms of Apple releasing updates.

    Also, since Apple eventually drops ALL support for older models, every device will, in time, forever have publicly known holes in the system just begging for hackers to attack. The pdf exploit is still wide open for the original iPhone and iPod since Apple didn't even provide a security update for them. And yes, they are relatively outdated devices, but there is still a significant number of original iPhones still being used on a daily basis.

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone PReCioSa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Renton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
    I too was an Apple developer, until my account was terminated. And trust me, I know a lot more than you about computers, iPhones, and cell phones in general. Oh and by the way, I have MobileMe FindMyiPhone installed so I can just reset the passcode that way, or SSH into my phone and type "rm /private/var/Keychains/Keychain-2.db" and then type "respring", or "reboot". But let's say I'm not connected to WiFi, or I have my SSH server turned off, then I can plug it into an application like PhoneView or iPhone Explorer and utilize the afc2add hack to remove the file that stores the passcode. Sorry pal, but I just explained a simple, extremely simple method of reversing your attempted malicious action, in which you had no idea about whatsoever. How about you do some more research next time, then get back to me? Here's a good place to start.

    Main Page - The iPhone Wiki

    Oh and by the way, I'm 14. And you're 21.
    so abusing u go take ur goodie to shoes 14 year old teenie bopper *** to a skate park instead of calling people that are older then u stupid. u don't know everything. and at least I work for a living. later child!

  7. #27
    Most of the Jailbreaks we have are boot rom based. Very seldom do we have userland Jailbreaks. The reason I say this, is because the Dev Team already knows and has the code to Jailbreak the device, a new hacker to the iPhone would have to rewrite it from scratch, since most of the time the source code isn't released. And any iPhone that has root access it considered Jailbroken, any form of hacking. In UNIX and BSD based file systems, it has something called a chroot jail, that means change root, changing the root directory, Apple did this as chroot /var/mobile/Media. When you Jailbreak a device, you a breaking that jail, that chroot jail, and allowing root access.

    Quote Originally Posted by PReCioSa View Post
    so abusing u go take ur goodie to shoes 14 year old teenie bopper *** to a skate park instead of calling people that are older then u stupid. u don't know everything. and at least I work for a living. later child!
    What a wonderful way to admit your defeat and ignorance!
    Last edited by pcs are junk; 2010-09-27 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •