Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Emergency! iPhone stuck in recovery! Black screen! Normal methods not working!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Exclamation Emergency! iPhone stuck in recovery! Black screen! Normal methods not working!
    Fellow iDevice users, please help! I have an iPhone 3GS, MC model, on 4.0.1 firmware. I had the strangest thing happen last night and it's driving me crazy! I synced some music to my iPhone, and then my wifes. When I was done with mine, it appeared normal. Once I was done with her's, I went for mine and I noticed it was off. Strange at first, but I didn't think nothing of it. I went to power on, nothing. I thought, no problem, just reset it. I performed both soft and hard resets, and nothing! At this point, I began to worry, and thought, just restore. This is when the weird stuff began. It wouldn't restore. When I plug to iTunes, it detects a device in recovery, tries to restore, screen will go from black, to white to yellow, then back to black. I stayed up to 2:00 a.m. watching You Tube videos, and no success. I've emailed a few people there and no response. All the videos speak of resets, and dfu mode, but my device won't do anything.I've emailed a few people there and no response. I'm waiting patiently, and if I hear anything, I promise to post here. No Apple symbol, no connect to iTunes, nothing. It's become a TRUE brick! Has anyone come across this. Maybe not the same scenario, but the problem nonetheless? If so, please, please help! I'll definitely appreciate it, and i'm sure someone with this issue will too.

Hi Dark_Cross79. In same kind of problem I'm stuck right now since last 2 days. Take a look at this post if you want to try something different.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...wont-turn.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Davesdream For This Useful Post:

dark_cross79 (2010-09-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks Davesdream for the reply and the advice. I've tried the link and a few other things. No success yet. At the same time, D7/Dinozambas did post a video on the topic today. I believe my iPhone is a lost cause, because his advice hasn't worked. Don't get me wrong, the man's reputable, and normally has the videos to watch. So, as promised, here's a link for you and anyone else experiencing this problem. I hope this helps. P.S.: When he goes into dfu mode the second time without iReb, that's exactly what my iPhone's doing: YouTube - Easy Fix Bricked & Boot Loop Problems With iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dark_cross79 For This Useful Post:

Davesdream (2010-09-25)

I left my phone charging the whole day. I'll give a try to the video. My case is the phone is totally OFF. Lets see if I can solve this
    Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know

I found out something new/different to do. Try this. After opening ITunes, plug the USB cable to the computer, then before plugging you phone hold the home button while you insert the connector. I did this and Itunes recognizes the device and... "voila" my screen is back ON again... with the plug to Itunes sign on it ... still working in the restore process, but at least now I have hope...
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-09-25 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did you try the rubber chicken and peanut butter technique?

Quote Originally Posted by thewiredhavocmc2.0 View Post
    did you try the rubber chicken and peanut butter technique?
    wtf??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiredHavocMC2.0 View Post
    Did you try the rubber chicken and peanut butter technique?
    Dave, in regards to that, I haven't a clue to what he's talking about. WTF indeed! As for your idea, I would've tried it, but it begun it's journey back to Apple land. I'm happy to hear you're having some success. Hopefully you'll be back to normal in no time. Me, i'm, surprised how attached to it I am. Ifound myself reaching for it on my breaks at work today, and pissed because it's not here. Soon hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_cross79 View Post
    Dave, in regards to that, I haven't a clue to what he's talking about. WTF indeed! As for your idea, I would've tried it, but it begun it's journey back to Apple land. I'm happy to hear you're having some success. Hopefully you'll be back to normal in no time. Me, i'm, surprised how attached to it I am. Ifound myself reaching for it on my breaks at work today, and pissed because it's not here. Soon hopefully.
    Sometimes You love it... Sometimes You hate it... AAaaahhhh...IPhone Love... :P

I have exactly the same problem, none of these methods work for me. in desparation I have even tried to upgrade to OS 4.1 the official version, but I still get "unknown error 28"

I dont seem to be able to restore to any version has anyone got passed this?

Blingal. Error 28 is related with Hardware issues. First make sure you are using a cable connector that it really works (try with a different one if you have or someone else has)
    Is you phone totally OFF?

Quote Originally Posted by Davesdream View Post
    Blingal. Error 28 is related with Hardware issues. First make sure you are using a cable connector that it really works (try with a different one if you have or someone else has)
    Is you phone totally OFF?

unfortunately I have come to find out that error 28 is a HW failure.... The phone seems totally off meaning it doesnt seemingly react in any way. But iTunes detects it as in Recovery mode, and also usbviewer can detect it.

I actually havent tries with a different USB cable now that you mention it, though I never had any problems with this one. I will try a different cable this evening though at this point it is hard for me to believe that it could be that simple

Yeah. Hardware failure doesn't mean IPhone failure, it could be any piece of hardware involved, for example the cable. And yes, sometimes the most simple solution is the one that works. Sometimes people tend to look beyond the most simple things...

Hello all

This is my first post and or reply to one

I did to have the black screen and also error 28 on iTunes. For the past 2 days Iíve been looking and read lots of stuff but still nothing! Until this, I came across this article and believe it or not it worked for me.
    Please read carefully all the detail
    Downgrade iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G to iPhone 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

let me know if it worked for you

Cheers
    Flashpix

If your stuck in recovery mode, go to thecoredevteam.tk and download RecBoot which will kick your iphone out of recovery mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    To update everyone, I couldn't get around it. I tried all recommended methods: Tiny Umbrella, Rec Boot, and iReb, and none recognized my device.
    So, Apple replaced it under warranty.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^Late to the party, sorry, not gonna tell ya anything you don't already know and have done.
    Failure, replacement is the only answer with this situation.
    Just thought I would add that in case someone else was reading the thread and wasn't sure.

oo i feel bad for you

Sell it on eBay or Craigslist and say for parts

well here is an update worth making. I ended up sending my 3Gs to Apple since it was under warranty. And with no buts and ifs I got a replacement unit, brand new only I got it with FW 4.0.2 so now gotta wait for a JB

But am still impressed how smooth it all went

Quote Originally Posted by blingal View Post
    well here is an update worth making. I ended up sending my 3Gs to Apple since it was under warranty. And with no buts and ifs I got a replacement unit, brand new only I got it with FW 4.0.2 so now gotta wait for a JB

But am still impressed how smooth it all went
    I would had told you to do to that I just thought someone else had suggested it, just don't update to 4.1 otherwise you will lock out ultrasn0w

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast