Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone 2G won't turn on

Question IPhone 2G won't turn on
    Hello everyone. First of all I want to apologize for the tittle of the topic. I know there are a lot of post out there related to this issue. I have been ready hundreds of them, but I found them outdated or some of them very confusing, so let me explain my case hoping the expertise of several of our members can lead me to solve this problem and help other in the future if something similar happens to them.
    So, I have a 8GB, 2G, ver 3.0.1, unlocked/Jailbroken with Redsn0w, Cydia on it. Is been working for a year, but yesterday I wanted to make a call and it didn't turn on. After pressing several times (I don't know if I put it in DFU with so much pressing here and there) I noticed the screen light up in BLACK, then switched to WHITE and then turned off. Hours later I went out, take the phone with me, hook it up to the car adapter, press again to turn it on, and I got the Apple logo. It took very long time but it boot up and start functioning correctly (checked my voicemail, etc) then keep driving and the phone turned off. I arrive home, unplug it from car power and iphone lit on showing the clock. Inside the house I tried to turn it on again and THAT WAS IT... no more IPhone. So following some post, I open ITunes (I have ver.9, same that I use to U/J) I plugged the IPhone and yes. It recognize an phone in recovery mode (no info bout my phone, like the name I gave it shows up in the phone info). It asked to restore before been able to be use with ITunes, so I continue, and it stated that ver.3.1.3 is going to be installed. I proceed, but almost at the end the operation stopped (I heard several DINGS, the iphone icon disappeared from left pane)and got some error(9). Then I tried again but this time hitting the shift key and choosing my 3.0.1 ipsw file. Every was going OK but again I received an error(1011). So before experimenting more I want to ask here.... PLEASE HEEEEEEEELPPP!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Not sure what error 9 is but you can try kicking it out of recovery with something like recboot.

I will love to reboot it, but as I said... It just act dead. I tried already to reboot but still is (or looks like is) OFF. I'll try to drain the battery first, then to charge it again and give it a try to turn on. Still I will appreciate any help and clear steps of what to do.
    Thanks

Thanks

Didn't you say your computer still recognizes it in itunes?

Yes ITunes recognizes a phone is plugged in DFU mode, but the phone itself do not responds to any power/home press. When I try to restore in the middle of the process I can hear the "DING-DING" and the phone disappears from left pane while doing the "verifying firmware" or "installing" or "restore"...dialog box window

Thanks

So if the phone is coming up initially in itunes then download recboot (google it) and try to kick it out of dfu with that. You can also try plugging it in, then hold the power and home button together for at least 30 seconds, just keep holding it until you see the apple logo, it can sometimes take a bit to come up.

oooooooops... I didn't read correctly your post. I thought you said reboot, instead of recboot... I will give it a try tonite and let you know.
    Well, the manual method is not working for me, as I said, pressing the buttons do nothing because it is like dead...
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-09-22 at 06:08 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Download tiny umbrella, open it, then plug your phone in and wait for it to hit the connect to iTunes picture, when you see that click the "kick out of recovery mode" button, should work

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

BUAAAAH!!.. now I have another problem... RecBoot, or TinyUmbrella? The first one seems simple to use (Enter DFU or Kick from DFU), the second seems more powerful, but after reading the ReadMe, there are terms/concepts that I don't know if I will apply correctly...
    What do you guys think?

Thanks

you dont have to worry about all the other stuff tiny umbrella does. Just use the kick device out of recovery button and see if that helps.

Your other option is doing what you said in your first post, give it a day or two letting your battery die out then try and plug it in to see.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-09-22 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok, none of the app are working for me.
    Recboot: I run the program (iphone already plugged in and ITunes see it). Window opens I click in "Exit Recovery Mode". ... Your Device is being kicked out of Recovery Mode.... and stays just there... nothing happend.

TinyUmbrella: I run the program and got and error saying.
    -I dont have admin rights (yeah, right)
    -You have something running in port :80. This maybe is true. There is a process called inetinfo.exe that seems to be linked with IIS. Using Computer Managment > Services I stopped this service and seems to recognize an enable the kick device button, but...

-The hosts file is not modifable. (eerrrrr...what hosts file?? There are several files in my computer with some *hosts* string in the name....). Ok I found the most know hosts file and cleared the read-only check mark. Run TinyUmbrella and the errors are gone.
    Try again. ITunes open, run TinyUmbrella (opens correctly) hook IPhone to USB. Get the "DING-DING". Tiny recognize the device. I hit the "Kick Device..." get another DING-DING... and...??? nothing happens. No buttons do anything, no pixel in screen... nothing.. MORE HELP PLEASE!!!!

New try and get this message:
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.328 The Firmware Umbrella - v4.1.4 by semaphore
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.343 For help click here
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.343 Connect a device to continue...
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.828 Caching shsh files...
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.843 Found [0] shsh files to cache...
    09/22/2010 18:41:17.843 Cached [0] shsh files
    09/22/2010 18:41:27.281 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella.
    09/22/2010 18:41:28.140 Device Detected -
    Device: INVALID X.X.X (XXXX)
    Model: MA712LL/A Name: iPhone
    UUID: Some big chain of characters

from Itunes now I get and error saying cannot connect to Iphone because an invalid response.
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-09-23 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Like I said you didnt have to worry about all that extra stuff with tiny umbrella, that is all to do with restoring iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Nothing to do with a 2G. Just the kick out of recovery was what you should have tried, which you did and it didnt work. I did think it was a long shot since those tools are for booting out of recovery and you seem to be in dfu. IMO you probably have a semi-faulty home or power button. i have seen one of these before where it was very hard to get in and out of dfu. I had to hold the two buttons hard for more than 30 seconds to boot out of dfu. If that doesn't work for you then try letting the battery die out.

Thanks you for your reply x98car. Faulty buttons it doesnt seem to be the case. This puppy has been working perfectly since I got it a year ago. I never had to press hard any button in order to turn on/off or use the home button. It is really weird what happened yesterday if you read my case. I pull out the phone from my pocket and was suddenly off. Then I notice all the other things. (It worked even once in my car).
    I'll try to drain the battery for the next two days to see if I can move forward.
    Thanks again.

I'm afraid you may have a hardware problem. Good luck.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

It may be hardware problem also.
    Try to check with all components in iphone.
    Even though it works normal.
    Dot Com Infoway - iPad App Development
    http://www.dotcominfoway.com/mobile-...velopment/ipad

What do you mean by "Try to check with all components in iphone" ?

Ok, now I think I found out something else. I cannot tell if the phone is charged at all because as I said it doesn't turn ON. The connection is kind of faulty. I tried with different cables and with all of then I notice that moving them a little bit to the right or left, the phone looses the link with the computer (and getting all those DING-DONGs)so I have to keep it still to not to loose connection. Carefully I hold the cable and hit the buttons to put the phone on DFU an ITunes recognize a device in DFU, so not everything is lost. I guess my next step is to try to charge the phone in the car, and see if I can make it turn ON at least.
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-09-24 at 02:31 AM.

Default Good News or some advance, or whatever you want to call it.
    Ok, I found out something. After opening ITunes, plugging the USB cable, and before connecting the phone. I hold the home button while inserting the connector. Finally Itunes recognizes the device and... "voila" my screen is back ON again... with the plug to Itunes sign on it ... still working in the restore process which I cannot solve yet. I can get the Apple logo and the little progress bar under it, but it not fill up or move until finally I get errors 1603, 1604...
    Now, I want to make this clear because I think it has something to do with this error. Remember from the first post I said in my first attempt to restored I didn't select the image I have in the phone (ver 3.0.1) but just hit restored in ITunes (which will restore to 3.1.3) and then I got all messed up. I cannot wait to try to different thing but I will wait until get some responses/advices.
    So, my questions are. Did the failing restore of 3.1.3, messed up the baseband ( ? ) or this version detected something funky in my phone (unlock/jailbrake/Cydia) and stopped working and left my phone half restored?
    Should I just go ahead and try to do the whole restore/Unlock/Jailbrake with RedSn0w as I did, using the 3.0.1 ipsw
    Or should I try any method of downgrade first because (theoretically) now I have a broken 3.1.3
    As you see there are some details that I don't know and escape from my knowledge, so please any expertise to point me in the right direction and/or explain me the theory...

After 4 days IPhone is back to normal (well, not yet) I downloaded and installed ITunes 10 on my laptop, and on the first try I was able to restore to factory default to 3.1.3. Now I get the slider and phone is waiting for SIM card and be activated, so next step is to follow MMI guide on "How to Jailbreak/Unlock IPhone 2G" with RedSn0w. I downloaded already 3.1.2 file, bootloaders and Redsn0w.
    I hope my next post is to say I am back and running.
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-09-25 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sounds like you are on the right track. Doing the jailbreak is a breeze.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Davesdream (2010-09-25)

Jailbreak/Unlock done. Everything went smooOOOOOooth. I am back !!!
    Thanks all for your comments.