Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone4 proximity sensor fix a hoax...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default iPhone4 proximity sensor fix a hoax...
    Im on 4.1 and Apple claims to have fixed the sensor problem, which is nearly impossible because it's hardware related so i don't see how software would fix it. Apple obviously will never admit that it is hardware to protect there half arse product.

I noticed all they did was add a delay to the phone. As a result it "fixes" the problem during calls. But the delay affects the phone when its sleeping too. There's a long delay when i hit the home buttom to get out of sleep mode. Tried it on a bunch of i4s with 4.1 and its there. The 3Gs on 4.1 doesn't have the delay for sleep mode or at all in that sense. Its pretty lame how Apple keeps doing half arse fixes on this phone.. Anyone else notice this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My i4 on 4.1 gets out of sleep mode at the same speed as my 3GS on 3.1.2

That being said, I've had trouble one time with the proximity not working during a call so my face was pressing numbers. Quite annoying. This was also on 4.1
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    My i4 on 4.1 gets out of sleep mode at the same speed as my 3GS on 3.1.2

That being said, I've had trouble one time with the proximity not working during a call so my face was pressing numbers. Quite annoying. This was also on 4.1
    We'll I'm saying a 3Gs vs an i4 both on 4.1 not JB, the 3Gs runs a lot better/smoother. It would be nice if Apple just fixed the all the hardware issues since nothing was really software related. They should have everyone swap their i4s at the Apple Store. Give everyone a certain date/time so its organized of course. Then they could fix the i4s we give them and so on..

On my i4 iOS4.1 I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware problem. The sensor works perfectly when I use Skype, never any mis-pressed buttons w my cheek/ear.

Check it out yourself. It would be interesting to hear other's comments.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    We'll I'm saying a 3Gs vs an i4 both on 4.1 not JB, the 3Gs runs a lot better/smoother.
    But what you're saying about speed doesn't make sense. Anywho, no point in arguing about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    But what you're saying about speed doesn't make sense. Anywho, no point in arguing about it.
    I dont think im wording it right. Im trying to say that ive noticed a lag on my i4 on 4.1. I believe Apple added this lag as the "fix" for the sensor issue. Even when your talking on the phone and hold it away from your face it takes longer then usual to light up. When i answer a phone call it takes longer to see the options. So as a result it makes the phone lag other places. Most noticeable is when its in sleep mode. Let it sleep for like a minute or so. There is a lag there that wasnt present before..

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Im on 4.1 and Apple claims to have fixed the sensor problem, which is nearly impossible because it's hardware related so i don't see how software would fix it.
    And how does hardware perform any task at all? Through the instructions issued to it from the SOFTWARE. Wow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-09-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    And how does hardware perform any task at all? Through the instructions issued to it from the SOFTWARE. Wow.
    Obviously the SENSOR which is HARDWARE is the issue. It could be the placement of it or the stupid thing itself. The SOFTWARE hasn't really FIXED the issue.. Maybe this will make sense. A hose has a leak and they put tape around it instead of replacing the whole thing. Make more sense now? Its a half *** way of doing it.

The 3GS had it on the side right? While the i4 has it on top. Idk if it would make much difference though..I'm on 4.0.1 and I hate my proximity, if 4.1 doesn't fix it then I'm throwing my i4 at some guys head =D

mine is on 4.1 and still hits mute when im in a call! JUNK!

Well that really sucks. I was really looking forward to the 4.1 jailbreak so I could update and fix the proximity. And I can't exchange it either since I need the old baseband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Well that really sucks. I was really looking forward to the 4.1 jailbreak so I could update and fix the proximity. And I can't exchange it either since I need the old baseband
    It fixes it for the most part, but it still tweaks.. Hence why i said its a hardware problem not software...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It fixes it for the most part, but it still tweaks.. Hence why i said its a hardware problem not software...
    Maybe they can make it less sensitive using software. I assume that the problem is because the sensor turns on the screen even when there's very little light coming in. If that was the case, it should certainly be fixable with a software update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i also found the home button unresponsive after updating to 4.1
    60% of the time, it works every time.

where are these people getting 'it's definitely a hardware problem'? You don't know what the problem is you're just regurgitating the 'popular' internetz opinion which is formed by a bunch of wanna be know it all armchair critics.

It could have little to do with the sensor, it could be the gyroscope. Perhaps it's too sensitive and little movement wakes it up. The sensor will only sense what it's told to sense which is software. If apple used the same sensor then guess what, not hardware.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine is fine, no lag coming out of sleep mode or any kind of problems with the prox sensor (that being said, I have noticed it's ALOT more sensitive than my 3G) I don't know what could be causing your sleep mode lag..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I agree with a couple posts ago... most likely Apple is using the exact same piece of hardware in all their phones. On the other hand if the software code is just cut and paste from all the other firmwares and there is STILL an issue then who the heck knows. The iPhone 4 has different glass which may respond to light and heat differently which is why they needed a software adjustment.

Thanks

Hopefully the 4.2 update fixes everything. It sucks that such a great phone has stupid little problems. That should be easily fixed..

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    mine is on 4.1 and still hits mute when im in a call! JUNK!
    Did you manage with that problem? I have the same thing.

Mine does it too. On 4.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast