Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia's new update bricked my iphone 4

Angry Cydia's new update bricked my iphone 4
    Hi,
    I like Cydia (preferred Rock) and admire the spirit of the jailbreak community. But lately I have been disappointed with Cydia and thought I should air it out.
    I had an iphone 4 with 4.0.1 jailbroken, with the right SSHS file in case I needed to restore.
    But from yesterday I went to 4.1 - not jailbroken.

So here's my journey from jailbroken 4.0.1 to stock 4.1
    After downloading Cydia's latest updates, I was getting the "restart phone " box, which never went away for a week, inspite of removing a lot of my latest apps.
    So I decided to restore the phone, since I had tinyumbrella and everything else.
    I was able to restore the phone the first time.
    I reinstalled all my "appstore" apps then installed Cydia's latest updates. Restarted my phone and the phone refused to leave the apple logo.
    So I restored again to 4.0.1, then installed only Cydia's updates and the substrate and the phone rebooted back to the apple logo.
    Tried a restore again and it got stuck on the apple logo.

Finally, did a restore from itunes to 4.1 and the phone still got stuck at the apple logo.
    Final finally, after a couple of more tries, I restored the phone to 4.1 using itunes and then the phone came back to life.

So here I am on 4.1 and I blame Cydia's latest mobile substrate.
    Hopefully, someone can point out what I did wrong.
    Thanks for reading.

how long did you wait at the apple logo? also did you try to restart again (holding home and sleep button at the same time until apple logo).
    Often times that does the trick, patience is key!!

Yes, did that too. The phone still got stuck on the apple logo. In the end, I disabled the firewall and made sure there was no reference to apple in the hosts file.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How is that Cydia's fault?????

You must have done something wrong...sorry to say.

Because
    The phone always crashed after installing the mobile substrate.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Were you restoring from back up or setting the phone up ad new after you restored to 4.0.1? Cuz restoring from back up will recreate the issue.

If you can, go back down to 4.0.1, jailbreak with jailbreakme, and set the phone up as new. Install the updates again. You should be fine.

I've never had Cydia crash my phone before, just Rock did it once.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-22 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That makes sense.
    I thought backup only restored, music contacts and apps.
    So, if I install 4.0.1, and dont do a restore from backup, how will I get my music and contacts?
    Thanks for the reply.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

^music is easy to re-select in iTunes. as for contacts, I personally use google contacts because you can sync them straight from google to the phone, I would say it's defo worth writing all your contacts into google. Its gunna save you alot of time & hassle in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thank you for all the replies. Will reinstall everything this weekend.

yeah it's not cydia's fault. Restoring from backup gets you this mess. Saying something that everyone installs and has zero issues with messes up your phone by itself is illogical.
    also the phone was NEVER bricked. I wish people would stop saying bricked. Bricked means impossible to fix.
    also when you do a restore are you using DFU mode? You should.

I know it is illogical, that's why I posted it. If I can I will change the subj line.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's ok you learn something new everyday! Just be sure to let me know if that fixed the problem for you.

Like Max said, be sure to sync your contacts to Google or Yahoo or even Microsoft Outlook. That way you can always pull your contacts right back in without having to restore from back up.

Just because you dont restore from back up doesnt mean you cant "Re-Sync" your phone to your itunes.... it will then just place all the contacts/music and any apps you have. The restoring process is actually putting all the settings back to how you orginally had them plus restoring sms's conversations .

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes it will resync your music apps and whatnot. What I did find is that it doesn't always restore my contacts. Which putting them back in is a pain. So back them up elsewhere just in case.