Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IOS4 multitasking explained

Default IOS4 multitasking explained
    Ok so I'm a bit confused. I know multitasking from Backgrounder and ios4 are totally different but how? When I hold the home button with backgrounder I know it will be in the exact place when I return. Sometimes when I open an app from the multitasking bar on ios4 it starts the app again, thus defying the whole point of multitasking! Any help
    Appreciated.

The ios4 multitasking only works on some apps, backgrounder works on all apps. Most app store apps work with ios4 multitasking. If the multitasking is not supported, it will still show up in the bottom bar but it'll be used as a "recent apps" bar.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It won't always be in that exact place , some apps will, some won't. You can't really tell which apps are running in the background either.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

So how is this better than backgrounder? Think I might disable ios4 multitasking and get backgrounder again. But also, I have to keep closing all the apps in the recent bar manually as my mb goes as little as 10mb (I have sbsettings which has a toggle to show my ram) backgrounder didn't put every app in multitasking state, just the ones I chose to. So there wasn't a major drain on ram like this. Can I do this with ios4 multitasking ? Thanks

So I'm saying that ios4 Backgrounds every app which drains ram even when I don't want it to background.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes backgrounder is the better option because if you want to background an app you click&hold the hme button, if you don't then you just tap it. As with all things apple, the freedom of deciding whether to background an app or not has been taking away (or rather, never put in) courtesy of Apple

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

So what if I have my iPhone full with over 2000 apps (which u now can with folders) and open them all one by one. Will it keep 2000 apps open? That's mental, it's killing my ram. How many of u guys have it disabled and stick to backgrounder?

No because not all 2,000 apps are multitaskable. Also, it doesn't background every app. Safari can use up about 100mb or more of ram so killing that should be more than enough to free up ur ram. You just need to kill 3 or 4 of the large file-size apps and should be enough, u don't have to close every single app because some don't even use 1mb or ram.

Lastly, backgrounder uses mobile substrate which drains ur battery. That's the main reason I don't use it.

U can also get "delete recent apps" or something like that from cydia which automatically removes the recent apps from the multitask bar. It only keeps the ones that are actually multitasking

What repo is "delete recent apps" in? Searched but not on my cydia. Is it def called that? Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

It's called something along the line of remove recents, and it's only large apps that will eat your ram, maybe safari as mentioned above, personally I find iMovie the biggest ram drain. NOT THAT YOU CAN EVER FEEL THE DIFFERENCE, I'm used to using a 3G so my i4 just feels like a magic carpet- smooth and very fast lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!