Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Had to DFU restore

Default Had to DFU restore
    This morning my iPhone 3GS, jailbroken 3.1.2, got an Apple Boot Logo loop of death. I tried everything I could find on google to fix it without restoring and nothing would fix it.

So I put it in DFU mode so iTunes would recognize the phone and restore it to the newest factory firmware. So it restored to 4.1.

I'm not concerned with the jailbroken apps being restored, I would however like to retain my text messages and the pictures I had not imported into iPhoto yet. Can I restore my most recent backup iTunes has of the jailbroken 3.1.2 firmware onto the new 4.1?

If not is there a way I can downgrade to 3.1.2 to restore that backup.

Once again, I'm not concerned with apps (jailbroken or app store), I just want to recover my texts and pictures/videos.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

if you already updated to 4.1, the most you can do is try a restore from backup. emails texts and photos should still be on your backup (apps may not work as they are somewhat firmware dependant) in itunes right click on your phone (on the left) that should give you the option to restore from backup if i remember correctly. otherwise the info on your phone is gone already (from the firmware upgrade).

Ok, restoring the backup got my texts and pictures and everything back. The apps I use on a day to day basis still work so no problems there.

The only problem I have found is that I had used MakeItMine to change the carrier to the text "Watson". Now this program must modify and apple file that is stored in the backup as it still says "Watson" next to my signal bars. Normally I would not care about this except for some reason it also changed where the clock is in the center of the screen in the top status bar to "Watson" so now there is no clock there. If I'm using the phone and need the time I have to lock the phone and then look at the time on the lock screen.

Obviously this isn't crucial to the use of the phone it is just tedious and I was wondering if there was a way to get the clock to display there again?

edit: I also do not care if the fix resets the carrier back to the normal AT&T text.

Thanks

try to reset carrier settings

also why not just downgrade to 4.0.1?
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

I will try resetting the carrier settings when I get home to my data cable.

And I was unaware I could downgrade to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g4m3r7ag View Post
    I will try resetting the carrier settings when I get home to my data cable.

And I was unaware I could downgrade to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak.

if you saved you shsh blobs or hit "make my life easier" in cydia when you had it previouisly then you can down grade... there are different guides on this site specific to what os your running (mac osx or windows ) and for what phone.

if you saved your shsh blobs and you still need some help just shoot me an email @ [email protected] and ill see what i can do.....

but you have to make sure you have shsh blobs, with out those then no you cannot restore and you will have to wait a month for the new jailbreak .

edit seeing as how you were running 3.1.2 on your 3gs when it went down you most likely dont have 4.0.1 shsh... but you still can downgrade to 3.1.2 if you want to re jail brake (Again assuming you have 3.1.2 shsh blobs backed up) ifyou dont care at all for a jailbreak right now then hopefully the reset carrier settings will work for you
    Last edited by gthugballin; 2010-09-12 at 12:05 PM.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

I think I might have done the SHSH blobs, make my life easier thing when I originally jailbroke, that was a few months ago though and I can't recall for sure. Is there anyway to check?