Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back up Iphone 4

Default Back up Iphone 4
    I just bought a new 27in Imac, can i just plug my Iphone 4 into it and back it up on my new computer even though it has none of the content on it that my phone has on it. Will it automatically save all my content and music into itunes? If so possible, how do i do it? thanks

well, make sure the autosync is OFF.
    you can then right click on the iphone on the left side and backup. You can sign in in itunes. You should even be able to transfer purchases.
    HOWEVER, I do not know how to transfer your music and I surely would NOT sync the phone until someone else weighs in on this.

I know through SSH you can backup contacts (addressbook), notes, call history, sms, themes, using appbackup can backup app store app settings
    User/Library will have all that but app backup directory. (save SMS for sms convos, addressbook folder for contacts etc. etc.)

but wait to use itunes until someone else weighs in I suppose

im also trying to figure out how to upload the videos and pics i have taken with my iphone to my computer, can you help with that?

2nd Post: you can do it on iPhoto. Or simply ImageCapture. If you don't have a mac, I guess you would do it by Window's software to import photos/vids from normal digital cameras.

1st Post: How To Sync Your iPhone To Multiple Computers - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog

You would need to transfer the music etc. manually; i.e. not using your phone.

oh and also:

How to transfer iTunes library and iPhone backup to new computer - Mac Forums