Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery Life & MobileSubstrate Plugins

Thumbs down Battery Life & MobileSubstrate Plugins
    So, I have my iPhone 4 and my old iPhone 3G and when it comes to it the battery life on the two devices are almost identical. The two are both jailbroken and unlocked using ultrasn0w though I have to admit the 3G has less mobilesubstrate plugins installed...

So here comes my question. How could a mobilesubstrate plugin affect the battery life negatively? For example, having Safari Download Manager means that you have three mobilesubstrate plugins running for it: Downloader, sandcastle and sandcastle client. Could these affect the battery life? Same goes for LockInfo; it installs a few mobilesubstrate plugins for it to work.

So, again, what kind of stuff would affect battery life when it comes to plugins and is there anyway to check it? And when developers say, "it should not affect battery life", what are they basing this on? (in case of LockInfo and Firewall IP for example).

I know that some of you are enjoying the extra juice that iPhone 4 has given people but I am not seeing the benefit... My iPhone 4 will still not last a whole day. I know the basic tricks: turning brightness down, having 3G off etc. But none of these seem to have any real effect. (Additionally, though not really relevant to my question, I do use Google Mail/Calendar and Contacts: Gmail with IMAP, Calendar with CalDAV and Contacts via Exchange all set on Manual Fetch. I'm using GPush to let me know when i get an email and getting Notified Pro to let me know of that...)

p.s. Btw I have the following MobileSubstrate plugins running: Activator, AttachmentSaver, Clockhide, Cyntact, DisplayStack, Downloader, Firewall, IconSupport, Infinidock, LibWeather, LockInfo, LockInfoMail, LockInfoPhone, Notification GriP, Notified, PopupBlocker, PreferenceLoader, SwitcherPlus, _SnapTap, biteSMSsb, biteSBarClient, iPhoneDeliveryMS, libhide, sandcastle, sandcastleclient, ultrasn0w..

p.s.2 and all this stuff about downgrading mobilesubstrate itself... what stuff that it does that could affect the battery life?
    Last edited by anubi5; 2010-09-06 at 12:22 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so I only read to were u ask how substrates eat battery. They eat battery because these have to be constantly stored in RAM so they can b accessed at the devices will, this drains more battery because there's more that the device has to do.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Hi. Thanks for the response but if you could expand on your answer a little more, that'll be great. I realise that more stuff are left on the memory but from what I know having more stuff on memory does not require more battery, rather, it is the write/read process that might use some battery?

In addition, there must be some functions that mobilesubstrate provides that leads to extra battery usage?

Thanks

Ok well write/read isn't the only thing that uses battery, and substrates are causing extra read anyway. Most of the heavier substrates like infiniboard, winterboard etc. Will use alot of power because it's the graphic software which is doing overtime (rendering additional gestures/images into springboard). It's pretty obvious that substrates are gna use battery, think of activator for example, it has to add "cache" if you like, to each individual app (if you don't believe me, have activator running and go in any ordinary appstore apps directory, go in library or documents an then cache. This is gna make the OS do more read (maybe a little write) obviously using more battery.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand how you can't see that it uses more power

Blackra1ned

OK that makes sense. So the graphic rendering stuff are likely to use more battery than those which dont..? My question is simply that what kind of stuff that ms plugins that uses more battery. So, its graphical software and activator...

So maybe all this fuss about having SBSettings or not is simply down to Activator??

Do you know of any way of checking how much battery an app might additionally consume?? Would be nice to know!

U can go to sbsettings and disable some of them like libhide, just be careful because disabling some will crash ur phone. Libhide just hides icons I guess so I disabled it and my battery life improved.
    Go to cydia, settings, and change to hacker.
    Then go to manage, package, and then check what each of thosebsubtrates do, If u feel they are not necessary, disable them.
    But be careful, it's dangerous.
    You cant uninstall them because they are dependencies and it will uninstall the app also, but you can disable it in sbsettings

U can disable activator also, but then sbsettings won't open unless ur on the homescreen.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-09-06 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

Yes graphical things will use more software, but that's not the only thing. For example bitesms may use more battery as the OS has to read that extra bit of code which will divert it from the stock messages app to the bitesms. Pretty much any substrate uses battery, the heavier ones obviously induce higher battery usage. I find the best way to keep your phone running smoothly is keep on top of how many apps you have installed (especially cydia ones with substrates), regularly clear cache from safari, only turn substrates on when their being used (e.g. Multi icon mover, ultrasn0w) and the best one is to restore regularly, I restore at least once every 2 months, it really makes the difference

Blackra1ned

Someone should really come up with a way to monitor battery usage in detail... Anyway thanks for the info guys.