Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Suddenly Restoring, Not Sure Why

Default Iphone Suddenly Restoring, Not Sure Why
    So here's a new one: today while I was syncing, I got a pop saying the sync couldn't proceed because the phone wasn't recognized. And yet when I clicked okay, the sync seemed to finish. Once I disconnected the phone, I tried to open the app I'd just put on there (the reason I was syncing) and it would crash immediately upon opening. I figured it didn't install correctly due to whatever the pop up message was and decided to delete it off the phone. But after doing so, the apps refused to stop "wiggling" or whatever it's called when you hold down to delete one. Nothing would make them stop, so I finally had to hold down the home button and that button up top, to force the phone to reset. When it came back to life, every app I tried to open would crash instantly. This is has never happened before, so I was more than a little confused. Not sure what to do, I plugged the phone back into the computer and suddenly itunes says the phone must be restored and do I want to use the backup I just created (which it told me it couldn't finish, because it couldn't recognize my phone). Now it's restoring and it says it has 15 minutes to go. I have NO idea what would cause this. I didn't make any changes to my phone, it was just business as usual and then suddenly, this. I'm pretty sure that when it's done restoring I'm gonna lose my jailbreak, but I'm hoping I can go back to jailbreakme.com and get it back. I haven't upgraded my firmware in a while, at least since before apple released that latest version that kills access to jailbreakme.com. So I'm really hoping I can go back there and just jailbreak again, otherwise jailbreaking for me is done, I guess.

In any case, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there? Does anyone have any clue why a phone would just suddenly demand to be restored? For the life of me- I have no clue what caused this. I just hope the restore fixes the issue of the crashing apps and doesn't somehow make things even worse. Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Thanks

did you by any chance have wifi sync installed?

also if you saved your shsh you can always restore to an earlier FW.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

If your restoring then it's gna b on 4.0.2 and jailbreakme won't work, but redsn0w does as long as it's not an iphone4. unless you have your shsh saved so you can downgrade your stuck with that until 4.1

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Okay, now I'm really, really confused. So the phone restored, it seemed to work and then when I went to resync- I had the exact same issue. Stopped syncing, apps crashed upon opening, phone needed to restarted. Plugged the phone back in, itunes tells me it needs to be restored. So now I'm restoring (again) and I'm not at all sure what to do next. Am I gonna have to do this every time I try to sync my phone? And since the sync never finishes- how am I ever gonna get new apps on there, or back it up again?

Help?
    Last edited by nrfuller; 2010-09-05 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Set up your Phone as a new Phone and don't restore any backups.

If I do that, I'll lose all my settings, right? All my apps, every book I've downloaded, my game saves, everything? I can handle that (though it'll be a pain) but I just wanna know what I'm in for.

Also, if I restore as a new phone, will my jailbreak be gone forever? I'm on iOS 4.0.1 now, with no plans to update to a higher firmware yet. If I have to do a full restore, will I have to update and thus lose the jailbreak? Or can I just do a full restore and then go to jailbreakme.com and repeat the process? Anyone have any idea?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as you can restore back to 4.0.1 you can jb your phone again. I don't know what type of iphone you have so you will either need your shsh blobs to downgrade to 4.0.1 or if you have a a 3g you can use other methods.

But to the point, if you set up your phone as new which I recommend as well to solve your issue. You will loose your game saves and all your app settings, for example, email settings , passwords, wifi settings, ect...
    Your contacts, apps, pics, and media will all be reloaded via a fresh sync to itunes after your restore as new.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks for the info but I'm still a bit confused. If haven't downloaded the latest firmware for the phone, won't it just restore to 4.0.1, which is what my phone is at now? Or will restoring automatically update my phone to the latest version of the firmware?

I'm also not sure how to get my shsh blobs on file, can anyone point me in the right direction on that? I'd love to get that taken care of just in case, but I can't quite figure out how to do it.

As for a complete restore of the phone, I guess I'm prepared to lose all my data if need be. Sure hate to lose my game saves, but it's a small price to pay in exchange for the phone being able to sync. But one question: If I do a full restore, the phone will be "new," but then should I not use a backup of some sort, to get my contacts back or what not? Or do I put all that data in manually or something? I've never done a clean install, so I'm a little hazy on this kinda stuff.

Incidentally I have 3G3, if that helps.

Thanks again to everyone who's weighed in on this, I really, really appreciate it. So nice to have a lifeline for this kinda stuff, believe me.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope it will automatically restore you to the newest firmware. You can go here to get the firmware you want. ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Firmware

Downgrading requires a bit of knowledge to succeed with it. Your best bet is to go here The Firmware Umbrella and download and read about tinyumbrella. This will help you understand the whole shsh blobs thing. It will also facilitate a way for you to check if you have shsh blobs on file and will assist you in downgrading.

You will not use any back up if you restore as new. As I stated before your contacts apps and media will all be restored when you sync to itunes. All other info like passwords, game saves, and settings will be lost and will have to be manually setup again.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Well I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna want to learn about downgrading, it just sounds waaay too confusing for the likes of me. Which I guess means I lose my jailbreak, which really kinda sucks. What I don't get is WHY this is suddenly happening. I jailbroke the phone a few weeks ago, when jailbreakme was released and everything was fine. Now all of a sudden, this is happening. I didn't make any changes that I can think of, so what could cause this sudden inability to sync? It's a little baffling. It's not like I accidentally updated the firmware or anything. This problem just came out of the blue, with zero warning and there's just no way to explain what causes it. It's a little frustrating. But I guess there are worse things than going without a jailbreak. Still- I will truly miss it.