Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Conspiracy theory

Im going to attempt to throw a rock in the pond... are you using the same cracked IPA file?...

Cracked IPA as in illegally downloaded? No. I paid for the game and all my other apps. EVERY other app I have runs smoothly. The phone isn't even jailbroken
    Last edited by ramicio; 2010-09-11 at 07:34 AM.

Hey Ramicio,

Don't let the answers from the replies you've gotten so far get you frustrated. I'm sure you know that since the internet is mostly anonymous people often act differently behind the "safety" of their computer than they would in real life, face to face. I have to remind myself of that every day on just about every forum I visit, sadly. Also, you're essentially spot on about every technical thing you've said so far. I've been a programmer for about 25 years now, so I can spot bullshiz when I see it, and many of these other replies you've gotten smell... questionable... to put it politely. They'd do themselves well to listen to what you're saying because they might learn something.

Now, to get to the point, I have exactly the same problem as you do with Angry Birds. In fact that's how I found your post - I finally snapped and googled: angry birds stuttering

I had a 3G that was jailbroken. Nothing fancy or very custom, the only thing I wanted was the ability to SSH into the phone so I could replace UI sound files. That's it, nothing special. When I first installed Angry Birds it played really well with very minimal, if any, stutters or hiccups. As I played through the game, every day it seemed to become a bit worse the further I progressed. By the time I had finished all the levels it was really, really bad. Almost unplayable. I thought for sure it was because the phone was jailbroken, so I completely wiped the phone and put the latest OS on it (i.e. no more jailbreak). Same thing happened when I downloaded Angry Birds and started playing through it again. Okay, so now I know it's not the jailbreak. I gave up on it for the time being since I didn't want to invest that much time on it.

I got an iPhone 4 in August. Installed Angry Birds. It played better than ever for the first several days... then slowly I noticed the stutters creeping back in. Granted, they're less noticeable now because of the much more powerful A4, but I could see them nonetheless. Here I am a few weeks later and now the title screen that has all the birds and pans flying around stutters like crazy.

From a programmers perspective, there could be quite a few things causing this, but as you know none of them are corrupt data. Sloppy code? Possibly. CPU underclocking to regulate temp? Possibly. Corrupt data? Absolutely not.

If you ever figure out what it is be sure to post it here so I can find it when I google it next time I get sick of the stuttering!

Take care.

It cant be underclocking because that would still be faster than a 3G. My guess is that it has something to do with ios4. Or maybe the more u play, the more files it has to create to store ur game progress. Those files could be slowing it down. Angry birds is rumored to have an update soon so I guess well have to wait and see

I'm leaning on the side of programming. Maybe others who don't see the stuttering haven't gotten far in the game I beat it and when I go back and play old levels it stutters. For instance I will launch the yellow bird, it will stutter a second after launching it, and stutter right after I tap the screen to launch the bird faster, and then more stuttering once everything starts being destroyed. The rumored update I heard about was with some crazy bird that nukes everything, but it was only an update for Symbian. If they want to go higher res for the iPhone 4 then they need to get this fixed first. It will only be worse with 4x the resolution. I guarantee if I wipe my phone clean, install the game, it will be smooth at first. If I were to do nothing on my phone but play the game it would be stuttery towards the end of the game. Unfortunately I use my phone as a phone, so I'm not going to dedicate it to testing this to prove my point. Thanks for the kind words skneip!
    Last edited by ramicio; 2010-09-15 at 08:33 AM.

lol, good thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    It cant be underclocking because that would still be faster than a 3G.
    That isn't true, because we don't know how the underclocking is handled on an A4, and we also don't know how far down it's being clocked. So technically they could slow it down to the speed of a Commodore64 if they felt like it. And it could technically also be that when downclocking/upclocking there's a small hiccup in any actively processing threads for some reason. I'm not familiar enough with the A4 chip.

My guess is that it has something to do with ios4.
    No, unfortunately that's not it either. The 3G I used to have was not running iOS4.

Or maybe the more u play, the more files it has to create to store ur game progress. Those files could be slowing it down.
    Now *that* is a possibility... it could be that more and more files are created for level scores, unlocked games, eggs collected, stats, etc. and since I haven't done any coding for the iPhone yet, I have no idea how their OS handles many, many files all being open and accessed simultaneously. Could possibly be a file system issue.

Who knows, it really could be any of hundreds of things. The most likely culprit is that they're doing something very inefficiently in their code, whether it's not playing nicely with the file system, or maybe the iOS (not any specific version). If they happen to notice these stutters like we have, it really wouldn't take them long to track it down. Whether or not they can fix it easily... that's a completely different problem.

Just FYI - the new update from a couple weeks ago that adds a bit of retina support does not fix the stuttering issue.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

No issues here what so ever on the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, and iPod Touch(2nd gen I believe).

No updates have fixed it for me yet, and the retina support is only graphics, nothing UI whatsoever. I wish they used FSAA on the graphics, unless that's I'm mistaken that the iphone4 supports it. I have a few other games that don't support retina yet. Boggle, Tetris, Zippo Lighter, I Dig It, and a bunch of apps not yet like Accuweather. The Weather Channel says it supports it, but there is a lot of images there that aren't optimized yet. Very disappointing seeing how these people can work on updating before the OS comes out and the phone has been out for a few months. I can understand jailbreak apps taking longer.

Same issue here (iPhone 4, no jailbreak, paid version) - the stuttering got worse after I started revisiting older levels after beating the game.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I have all levels unlocked, about 70% of them 3starred and when I go back to old levels I don't get this stuttering on my i4 or 3G..
    Have you not considered it could be a performance issue with angry birds? That's more likely than a conspiracy theory lol

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iNT3Rv3NTiONZz - The thread actually starts on page 1, I think you may have accidentally started reading on page 3 (this page). Look in the bottom right corner of this page and you'll see little numbers counting up (i.e. 1, 2, 3) and 3 will be a different color than the others. If you click on the 1, it will take you to the first page, where you can start reading this thread from the beginning. This way you'll have much more information about what it is we're discussing, what things we've already covered, and how you can post a reply that makes sense to this particular topic.

I hope this helps!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have read the whole thread..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12