Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone will not restore

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iphone will not restore
    Hey everyone, been a very long time since ive had a problem i couldnt solve through research. Last night cydia starting crashing upon opening then cause a reboot. When i went to bed it started constantly rebooting. It would never get past the apple. I attempted many times to restore but the phone reboots out of the restore process. The phone does this on a regular and a dfu restore. Yes im completely sure it was in dfu mode. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Its a jailbroken 3gs running 4.0.1. Now when it restarts it goes into recovery mode for a bit then reboots and shuts off. Thanks in advance everybody.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you tried a restore in recovery mode instead of DFU?

Edit: force it into recovery mode manually instead of letting it go into it itself.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-01 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah ive tried it in forced recovery. It gets to the part after the verify and says waiting for iphone then it reboots and itunes throws an error 9

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Do you have your SHSHs?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah. Ive tried 3.1.2 - 4.0 - 4.0.1 with umbrella. Im hoping the battery drains today so it might reset something i hope

yeah I've had this problem before and the only thing that works is to restore to the latest firmware I'm not sure what happens but it just starts not liking restoring to previous firmware on the phone and needs a brand new uptodate restore to fix any problems...I haven't read up on the downgrade process from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 but this is what I would try...sorry dude

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah thats my next step. Its under warranty till sept 8th. Im just worried they gonna see it was JB.

Well no dice on the legitimate restore to 4.0.2 through apple verification server. It still just reboots right out of the restore whether its regular recovery or dfu. Guess I gotta try the Crapple store tomorrow unless anyone has any ideas.
    Last edited by GoIrish; 2010-09-01 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Update: Yahoo!
    Well I went to the Apple store today after work. I played completely stupid when asked about 3rd party software and such. Since the "genius's" couldn't get my phone to restore, they replaced it free of charge with a 90day warranty! Now the cool part. I was pretty bummed it came with the 4.0.2 firmware. Just for shits and giggles I ran it through umbrella and guess what? Cydia HAD my shsh for 4.0.1! I was able to downgrade and am now enjoying a fresh phone with a fresh jailbreak! Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out, it's always appreciated.

Jeff

Thanks

Lol nice. 3rd party software. 0_o what ever do you mean mr apple employee sir?

Rofl

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post
    Hey everyone, been a very long time since ive had a problem i couldnt solve through research. Last night cydia starting crashing upon opening then cause a reboot. When i went to bed it started constantly rebooting. It would never get past the apple. I attempted many times to restore but the phone reboots out of the restore process. The phone does this on a regular and a dfu restore. Yes im completely sure it was in dfu mode. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Its a jailbroken 3gs running 4.0.1. Now when it restarts it goes into recovery mode for a bit then reboots and shuts off. Thanks in advance everybody.
    Do you have WiFi Sync installed on your computer?