Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS App frozen -do I need to restore?

Default SMS App frozen -do I need to restore?
    Hi folks. N00b here.
    I've looked everywhere in the FAQ and search and can't seem to find an answer for this one.

My SMS app is frozen - crashes when I try to write a text and won't let me do anything. I attached a screenshot. This is happening the same to both my Apple SMS app and the JB biteSMS.

What I've tried:
    -Rebooting, restarting, respringing, turning off then on the phone, and syncing with iTunes
    -Uninstalling and reinstalling biteSMS
    -Uninstalling and reinstalling several of my JB applications one by one to see if there's a conflict
    -Staring at the screen with a furrowed brow

I'm looking for a solution that would not involve me restoring my iPhone if possible. I did save my SHSHs in Cydia (thanks Saurik!) and in TinyUmbrella (thanks semaphore!) and I know about the local restore option threads, but that process seems a bit more than this n00b wants to go through if there's any easier solution.

Anybody got an idea? Thanks in advance!

iPhone 3GS 4.0.1
    Mac OSX 10.6.4
    A slight amount of tech skill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0761.png  

Thanks

It looks like your SMS database is corrupt. If you don't want restore, google iPhone pc suite. Install it on your laptop/desktop. It will be in Chinese so you'll have to stumble through the install.

You'll also have to install a daemon on your phone as part of the process.

Once you get through that, iPhone pc suite will detect the corrupt db and ask if you want to fix it. Say yes.

Thanks - but that is a windows file and I've got a Mac.
    Is it looking like time to Restore then?

Thanks

Did you by chance install SMShelper? Is so uninstall it. If not, google "Mac iPhone corrupt SMS database" and find the mmi link. There's some useful info in that post that may help.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

jasonsilvernail (2010-09-02)

I don't think I installed that - don't see it on my list in Rock. I will check out that, thanks.

I actually did do the restore and it worked like a charm - I have a 3GS and did it a bit differently than the instructions in some of the threads here but it worked and I re-jailbroke and added back my apps. Thanks to semaphore for that local restore option - I will probably have to start another thread to explain what I did. I wasn't able to get some parts of it to work as advertised but it restored just fine.

After about 3 days of working fine, the SMS archive corrupted again, and I lost all my messages that I reinstalled from my backup on iTunes. I don't really care about losing them, and at least this time I was able to fix the problem by doing a shut down and restart of the phone. I have disabled biteSMS as the default SMS app to see if that is the issue.

Soulthoughts, I'll have to check out that thread on the corruption issue. Maybe there's something there that can help me sort this out.
    Thanks!

Thanks for that thread suggestion - lots of good stuff there to try. I might put SMS fixer on just to try it out.
    I didn't have SMShelper but biteSMS does have a little counter thing next to the send button, and Rock doesn't explicitly say its compatible with 4.x, so maybe that's the issue right there. Cydia's changelog mentions iOS4 though, so who knows? I do love that app, though.

I installed that SMS fixer app, and next time it happens I'll try that.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by jasonsilvernail; 2010-09-02 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

For those who are interested, I'll continue. I used the SMS fixer app and it did say it found a problem message and deleted it. I went back to using biteSMS and i'll see if the archive corrupts again and if so, can SMS fixer fix it.

I restored using the process in my signature - the Terminal commands didn't work and I didn't seem to need them after all.
    Last edited by jasonsilvernail; 2010-09-03 at 10:02 PM.
    Mac OSX 10.6.7; iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 (JB)