Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G stuck in reboot loop, even after restore

Unhappy iPhone 3G stuck in reboot loop, even after restore
    Hello there!

Well, here's my problem: my iPhone 3G is stuck in an infinite reboot loop. I can put it in DFU Mode, I restored several times, but it never gets past the apple logo. (actually, once or twice, it got to the "Activate using iTunes - emergency mode", but either it freezes right there (and I have to hard reset), either I can't jailbreak it (I don't have the activating sim)

The apple logo stays for some minutes, then the loading circle comes on it. For 5minutes. Then the screen flashes, and it's all over again.

At that apple logo, it is recognized on my PC (iTunes saying "Put a sim card in your iphone)

I tried everything, the first thing I tried was restoring 3.1.2 (it was there before, jailbroken)

I tried to jailbreak it and put it in verbose mode (in redsn0w), but it won't change anything.

I don't know how it got stuck there, it was fine, and then it began rebooting.

Please, help, and thank you for your answers!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

this happened to me on my 3G i just had to keep restoring, also are you using shsh's to restore to 3.x? if so that may be your problem, try updating to the latest iOS (4.0.2)

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

SHSH? I thought these were only needed for 3GS? I have a 3.1.2 backup, but it won't even pass the Apple Logo
    Either way, thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do!

I also tried 'basic' restoring (without shift-click and selecting ipsw), to 4.0.2, but it still doesn't work. In fact it did, showed the "emergency only" screen, but when I DFU+jailbroke it (redsn0w 9.5), it still shows the apple logo, and the spinning wheel on top of it. (strange, the spinning wheel is at the bottom of the screen normally, right?)

I restored again to 3.1.2, I jailbroke it, it seems like the jailbreak process actually worked this time. Before, it was just stalling at "waiting for reboot", with the WALD, but now it showed the pwnapple, flashing and all, it came to the lockscreen, but there it was frozen. I hard rebooted, and now I'm waiting to see if it works

I think I have a pattern. You must let it reboot (WALD) 3 times, then hard reboot it, then wait, and it shall work. I'll try again.

-------UPDATE-------

I have some news.
    My idea worked, if you let it reboot 3 times, it will come to the lockscreen, but there it's frozen.

I finally got redsn0w to enable verbose (I re-restored and re-jailbroke it), and it shows two interesting things:

- 'launchctl: Couldn't stat("/etc/mach_init.d"): No such file or directory'
    seems like some entire directory is missing, one related by the mach kernel

- 'AppleSerialMultiplexer: mux-ad(eng)::timeGetAdjustementGated:: Forcing time update'
    and it blocks there. and the spinning wheel appears (right in the middle, in fact 'over', the text, it's really hard to notice) after a dozen secs.
    this happens each and every time (well, except one time, it blocked at the line before, systemShutdown false, but that's normal at bootup)

I don't know what the problem is. But what I do know, is that the springboard normally loads after this. And, as I found lots of SB crash reports (fetched by iTunes, or by directly browsing the iPhone using iPhoneBrowser, explorer, etc..)

I think I have something, but I don't know if this will help

I also noticed that, when it boots to the frozen lockscreen, there is no last line, there's just the systemShutdown false line. may be related
    Last edited by qikon; 2010-08-25 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Update

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure the launchctl error is normal as when I had verbosrboot I also saw this in the code, so is the forcing time update, that is the last bit it runs before it turns on so sounds like it has a problem rendering springboard or something

Thanks
    Default Please Define Your Reboot Process
    Quote Originally Posted by qikon View Post
    SHSH? I thought these were only needed for 3GS? I have a 3.1.2 backup, but it won't even pass the Apple Logo
    Either way, thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do!

I also tried 'basic' restoring (without shift-click and selecting ipsw), to 4.0.2, but it still doesn't work. In fact it did, showed the "emergency only" screen, but when I DFU+jailbroke it (redsn0w 9.5), it still shows the apple logo, and the spinning wheel on top of it. (strange, the spinning wheel is at the bottom of the screen normally, right?)

I restored again to 3.1.2, I jailbroke it, it seems like the jailbreak process actually worked this time. Before, it was just stalling at "waiting for reboot", with the WALD, but now it showed the pwnapple, flashing and all, it came to the lockscreen, but there it was frozen. I hard rebooted, and now I'm waiting to see if it works

I think I have a pattern. You must let it reboot (WALD) 3 times, then hard reboot it, then wait, and it shall work. I'll try again.

-------UPDATE-------

I have some news.
    My idea worked, if you let it reboot 3 times, it will come to the lockscreen, but there it's frozen.

I finally got redsn0w to enable verbose (I re-restored and re-jailbroke it), and it shows two interesting things:

- 'launchctl: Couldn't stat("/etc/mach_init.d"): No such file or directory'
    seems like some entire directory is missing, one related by the mach kernel

- 'AppleSerialMultiplexer: mux-ad(eng)::timeGetAdjustementGated:: Forcing time update'
    and it blocks there. and the spinning wheel appears (right in the middle, in fact 'over', the text, it's really hard to notice) after a dozen secs.
    this happens each and every time (well, except one time, it blocked at the line before, systemShutdown false, but that's normal at bootup)

I don't know what the problem is. But what I do know, is that the springboard normally loads after this. And, as I found lots of SB crash reports (fetched by iTunes, or by directly browsing the iPhone using iPhoneBrowser, explorer, etc..)

I think I have something, but I don't know if this will help

I also noticed that, when it boots to the frozen lockscreen, there is no last line, there's just the systemShutdown false line. may be related
    I have a 3G WALD running 3.1.2/3 and after SEVERAL restore and reboots I am still stuck. I have the same verbose problems as mentioned earlier.

OK here's my problem i have an ipod touch 2g running 4.2 firmware. The other day when i was on cydia all of a sudden my ipod froze and rebooted. I didnt think anything of it because this happens alot, but then my ipod showed the apple logo with a loading ring below it and now it just keeps rebooting. I restored the first time and that worked for a bout an hour, but when i went into cydia and tried to download ********** 4, my ipod went back into a boot loop. I have been through this process and i have restored and re-jailbroken two times. Both of the times i used different jailbreak methods but the same thing keeps happening any help because this is my older brothers last gift to me before he left for the navy and i dont wanna break it so thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kutanodo View Post
    OK here's my problem i have an ipod touch 2g running 4.2 firmware. The other day when i was on cydia all of a sudden my ipod froze and rebooted. I didnt think anything of it because this happens alot, but then my ipod showed the apple logo with a loading ring below it and now it just keeps rebooting. I restored the first time and that worked for a bout an hour, but when i went into cydia and tried to download ********** 4, my ipod went back into a boot loop. I have been through this process and i have restored and re-jailbroken two times. Both of the times i used different jailbreak methods but the same thing keeps happening any help because this is my older brothers last gift to me before he left for the navy and i dont wanna break it so thanks in advance for any advice.
    Maybe it's the karma police
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Default I figured out the WALD
    It seems that if you restore the device with the #3 flex cable disconnected that it will restore just fine. Just dont power off the device when you re insert it. You should be carefule to not have the LCD active when you reattach it as there is a small chance you will fry the display. After that if any issues come up just do a soft reboot and viola!

Are you replying to my post?

REMOVE the flex that have the EAR detector and the speaker and on the mobile !!

If on then change it

100% SOLUTION !

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kioes's Avatar
    Thanks

Also make sure you are NOT restoring from backup,

Just update to 4.1 and set up as new phone.

it could be a corrupt file in backup that causes this to happen, im running 4.1 on my 3G with no problems.
    For anything SB-HTML or Themeing based help feel free to MSG me!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

never restore from a backup if you are changing firmwares. you're asking for trouble.
    60% of the time, it works every time.