Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about my 3GS

Default Question about my 3GS
    Alright, I have an iPhone 3G[S] 16GB purchased in like July 2009. I'm probably not getting the iPhone 4 and will wait. However, until then, I was thinking about "upgrading" to a 32GB 3G[S]. I have a seller lined up already, just have a few questions before I go through with it.

1. It's okay in AT&T's eyes right? Like AT&T does IMEI sweeps and gets pissed off if you switch your iPhone out with like a Blackberry, but will they care about my random 3G[S] swapping? Am I still eligible for upgrade in July 2011? And am I allowed to sell my 16GB to get the 32GB one, or do I have to keep it?

2. It kinda goes with #1, but nothing changes right? No AT&T plan changes or anything like that, just a different iPhone, but same monthly price, right?

3. The seller tells me that it is still under warranty as it was purchased about a week ago.. Does that mean I can still get a BRAND NEW replacement?
    (With my 16GB, I have gotten like 2 or 3 brand new replacements when I told them about my battery issues.)
    ALSO, does Apple still have BRAND NEW replacements in stock?

Please let me know if you know the answers. #3 is particularly important, so any 3G[S] user who recently got a replacement or something like that would be very helpful.

(By the way, I would go to the Apple Store on 5th Avenue, NY. It might not make a difference, but it IS one of the bigger Apple Stores around.

Thanks!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Shouldn't be a problem since you are just switching iPhones and more or less just taking SIM cards out and swapping phones.

2. Shouldn't affect your price

3. I don't think they will have many more 3Gs 32GB at any Apple stores since they are pushing the iPhone 4.
    Please hit "Thanks!" if I helped you.

Thanks

If it's still under warranty and something goes wrong with it apple will replace it. You won't get a brand new phone you'll get a refurb which likely what you got when you had your original replaced.

The brand new replacement is pretty important to me. Anyone have any info if they still carry some?

And when I got my replacements, I was assured both times they were brand new. They had no scratches or anything. You think they lied?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hanster101 View Post
    The brand new replacement is pretty important to me. Anyone have any info if they still carry some?

And when I got my replacements, I was assured both times they were brand new. They had no scratches or anything. You think they lied?
    Refurbished phones look just like brand new they don't have any scratches. Did the phone they gave you come out of a retail box or did it come out of a small white one? Yes, I think they may have lied to you.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Haha oh the lies...

A huge percentage of the time with replacement phones for any carrier , they would be refurbished. Like jkmonkey said, the exterior is new (no scratches or blemishes) but the phone itself was used before, had some sort of issue, they fixed it, and now give as replacements. Sometimes carriers do take a phone right out of the box, but all my replacement phones were not taken out of the box. Refurbes phones arent bad, they look new and they were fixed up and checked for any other problems before given as a replacement, so its all good (usually).