Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Dead,no power at all, no DFU or recovery

Default 3GS Dead,no power at all, no DFU or recovery
    Ok, I have used this site many times and found the answers I needed. I have tried many different things this time, forgive me for the lengthy post, but I want to be as detailed as possible, so here goes.

I had never had an Iphone apart before, still to expensive on ebay to buy just to tear apart and make worse, so I waited. I have had many phones apart and fixed them with no problem. A buddy has a 16GB 3GS, he dropped it and busted the glass, it still worked, So before he did much research, he tore it apart trying to replace the glass, and in doing so he was prying where he shouldn't have been, between the silver strip and the back up by the sleep button. All of a sudden it shut down and he couldn't get it to power up at all(so he brought it to me in pieces. I did alot of research and went ahead and tore into it, figured what the hell, it don't work now. So I have had everything out including the main board, everything looks fine, no ripped cables, no bad spots on the cables or anything, everything looks clean (except where he was prying on the silver ring was up by the power button, the ring is a little separated from the back, but don't really look like it would hurt anything (power button still clicks like it should). So I installed the new glass, put it all back together and still no power, so I took it apart again and made sure everything was in place exactly where it should be and even tested the battery to make sure it wasn't completely dead, it tested at 2.95 volts, not fully charged but still not bad. So that should eliminate the battery.
    I have tried 2 different USB cables and wall adapters - nothing
    I have tried hooking it to the computer and the wall - nothing
    I have tried repeatedly to put in DFU mode - unsuccessful
    I have tried repeatedly to put it in recovery mode - unsuccessful
    Itunes will NOT recognize the Iphone
    The computer will NOT recognize the IPhone

One thing we did try, was to put the front screen and digitizer assembly and all from his new 3GS on to this one and still seen no life, put the new one right back on the new phone and the new phone still works perfect, so this leads me to believe it's not in the front glass assembly.

I have seen no signs of life from this phone since I received it. Not even a flicker. This whole thing has just become a challenge to me to see if I can bring life back to it. If I see any type of life at all from the phone I might have a little more to go on, but I haven't. All I know is he said it worked until he tried to tear it apart to change the glass. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dead is dead, works for people and in this case, phones
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Do you think??? Are you sure your not giving up to easy??? Come on I'm a glutten for punishment.

I'm gonna keep trying, I seen a form of life this morning, while I was messing with it, I had it plugged into the USB of my computer and was triyng again to put in recovery mode and the chrome bezel was shocking me. Hmmmmm???? I think I might have something grounding that shouldn't be??? Any ideas?
    Last edited by tribby; 2010-08-24 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost