Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Plans to Stop iOS Jailbreaks?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Apple Plans to Stop iOS Jailbreaks?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The conspiracy theory nut jobs have translated their new patent details into that; however, it's not likely considering the new ruling making jailbreaking 100% legal. This patent focuses a lot more on theft security. Also just because it's a patent submission doesn't make it a sure thing in the near future or ever. These "security" features are a privacy breach nightmare in my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

i love how some of the comments say straight up "if you don't like the phone the way it is, don't buy it". just because you void your warranty? comon...

thats like going out and buying a car, then changing the wheels/tires, clutch, changing the map in the ECU, putting bigger injectors, cams... bla bla bla... all of that (most) will also void your warranty on a vehicle but, you don't see car manufacterers saying "if you don't like it the way it is, don't buy it".

i do not see the difference, and car manufacterers have been hip to this for decades, it is actually part of what drives sales up, which is why toyota came out with TRD, nissan came out with NISMO, mercedes benz came out with AMG, bmw came out with DINAN, etc, etc...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i couldnt agree anymore. i thought something similar wen i read the comments

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    i love how some of the comments say straight up "if you don't like the phone the way it is, don't buy it". just because you void your warranty? comon...

thats like going out and buying a car, then changing the wheels/tires, clutch, changing the map in the ECU, putting bigger injectors, cams... bla bla bla... all of that (most) will also void your warranty on a vehicle but, you don't see car manufacterers saying "if you don't like it the way it is, don't buy it".

i do not see the difference, and car manufacterers have been hip to this for decades, it is actually part of what drives sales up, which is why toyota came out with TRD, nissan came out with NISMO, mercedes benz came out with AMG, bmw came out with ///M, etc, etc...
    Fixed

since jailbreaking is legal, apple wouldn't be allowed to do this
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I believe the ruling made it so you can't be sued or have other legal action taken against you for jailbreaking (like can be done for pirating copyrighted music, etc). Not that I think anything such as remote wiping by Apple would ever really happen, but I do not think the jailbreaking ruling has any affect on something such as this.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

it is a general case of invasion of privacy.... apple has no right to do this.... if you BOUGHT the product, it is your to do with however you feel the need to do stuff to it..... hey, maybe in the future apple will start stalking us if we even scratch the screen..... if you bought it then it is your device or "electronic device", not crapples.....

and also, the case that says jailbreaking is legal, then that means that aple cant do s*** about anything, unless you report it stolen, then it can be tracked.....
    Last edited by drog92; 2010-08-24 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Every Apple talks ( not literally ) about jailbreaking, they mention how it ruins the iPhone's security.
    But who the hell fisex pdf exploit in my 3G??
    C'mon Apple. You leave legacy when you move forward. Ask PR think about it twice before making a perception mainstream.
    Same Apple Same Mac Another Take Another Place

If you paid 199 or 299, then you did NOT buy the phone. You're more like leasing the phone until your contract is up. It's not technically YOURS until then.

Also I believe in the terms of service/use/whatever, it clearly states that the OS is never yours, and Apple can do what they please that affects the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon7034 View Post
    it is a general case of invasion of privacy.... apple has no right to do this.... if you BOUGHT the product, it is your to do with however you feel the need to do stuff to it..... hey, maybe in the future apple will start stalking us if we even scratch the screen..... if you bought it then it is your device or "electronic device", not crapples.....

and also, the case that says jailbreaking is legal, then that means that aple cant do s*** about anything, unless you report it stolen, then it can be tracked.....

Didn't unlocking the phone become legal as well? No matter what apple decides to do there will be a way to shut it off or disable it. If they are able to do that then what's to stop a thief or anyone else from tracking your or seeing what your doing. It's a hackers dream. I think if it's for phones that have been stolen then it needs to be at the owners option to use and activate not something apple has on in the background. Like others have said this would be a total invasion of privacy and opens up all kinds of legal stuff to happen. If it does happen the devs will find a way to either block it or shut it off just like they did with apples kill switch.

Yea I first heard about the kill switch last night so I shut it off in SBS

Companies like TRD and Nismo weren't meant for consumers. They are race teams of those manufacturers. Sure you can get those parts, but I still doubt having even a dealer install them will keep warranty. They're not really factory parts. You're allowed to change your wheels, put in a K&N oil filter, etc. without voiding warranty. If warranty was voided that easy you would have to go to the dealer to change your oil every time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I believe the ruling made it so you can't be sued or have other legal action taken against you for jailbreaking (like can be done for pirating copyrighted music, etc). Not that I think anything such as remote wiping by Apple would ever really happen, but I do not think the jailbreaking ruling has any affect on something such as this.
    Maybe they actually wanna sue and take legal actions and other shizz nizz like that...

Or...

Maybe they think they could make more money, i.e. customer pays 200-500 for iphone, couple of weeks/months down the line he/she jb's it, Apple then "remotely" lock it off or brick it hoping that customer will go and buy another iphone. They are simply trying to follow Microsoft's conniving technique with the 1st gen of xbox 360 (red ring of death).