Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Root password longer than 8 char?

Default Root password longer than 8 char?
    Does anyone want to tell me why the F**K it's still impossible to set a root password more than 8 characters long on an iPhone? I remember this problem existing back in the days of 1.x.x, and assumed it would have been fixed by now (i.e. it never for even a minute occurred to me that it wouldn't have been).

The way people go on about the importance of changing the root password, you'd be forgiven for thinking that it actually provided a reasonable degree of security.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holl0wm1nd's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, mine's 10 characters long...
    Open terminal, type "su root" enter your current password, type "passwd" and enter twice your new password.
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but that's not the issue. You can enter a password of any length when it prompts you, but it only takes the first 8 characters of your input as your actual password, and ignores everything after that. Worse, it doesn't warn you about truncating it, the only reason I discovered this at all was through making a typo on the last character of my password and accidentally hitting enter instead of backspace.

Try it yourself. Open Terminal, try elevating or anything else that'll prompt you for your password, and deliberately mistype the last character.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cypherpunk For This Useful Post:

holl0wm1nd (2010-08-22)

iPhone? More like MyPhone holl0wm1nd's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! You're right, man!!
    Just thanked you because I didn't know that. I've just tried mistyping my last character (I have 10), and even so I managed to access /var/root...
    Please hit the Thanks button if you think this was helpful or if it maybe raised a smile!