Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Contact Backup?

Default iPhone Contact Backup?
    Okay, awhile ago I backed up my contacts by going opening an SSH connection between my iPhone and computer and saved the two files to my desktop. Last night BeeJiveIM stopped giving me push notifications so after some google magic, I finally just said I was going to restore my phone. I downgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.0, and set up as new phone. I wasn't thinking, I wanted to save my photos, contacts I didn't care about as I was just going to SSH back into my phone and replace the two files. Well, that doesn't seem to be working. I SSH into my phone, replace the two files, and it does nothing, before the screen went a little weird then my contacts would be restored, now it does nothing, even if I remove both files, it does nothing. (I have a couple contacts in there now). What am I doing wrong? How can I restore my contacts from the backup?

well you typed a lot without saying much.
    What two files, what are you doing?

ALL you needed to do was go to User/Library and save AddressBook. Then copy that to the new phone (or after restore) and respring. That's it. Done.
    Make sure your permissions are correct. (Right click and properties set to 755 at the bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    well you typed a lot without saying much.
    What two files, what are you doing?

ALL you needed to do was go to User/Library and save AddressBook. Then copy that to the new phone (or after restore) and respring. That's it. Done.
    Make sure your permissions are correct. (Right click and properties set to 755 at the bottom)
    I've done that, it does nothing.

If it matters;
    iPhone 3GS, MC Model.
    4.0 FW, Jailbroken via JailBreakMe.

what you mean it does nothing?
    I still don't get what you're asking. You want to restore the contacts. You say 2 files. WHICH 2 FILES???

you can extract contacts from the backups (given that you didn't overwrite them already) using something. Google it there's something.

Jesus Christ, the ones in the address book. What files would I be talking about?

wow man. People do odd things and when they talk about 'files' you never really know where they got them from.

if the whole folder has it's permissions set to 755 (including the 2 files within) and you reboot the phone and it's not working then I'm not sure. That should be it. If the contacts loads up like that (and doesn't crash to springboard) then that's what is in those files.

You can try extracting your contacts from your backup using a backup extractor and see if that works. I'v edone that before for photos.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day at work, shouldn't have taken it out on you. I've set permissions to 755, the springboard doesn't crash, it used too, I've been using "respring", but it still isn't doing anything.