Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I OR Should'nt I ??

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kalaharijack's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Should I OR Should'nt I ??
    Hi,
    I have 'Cydia' and followed a link via a you tube link, How to get 'Steffwiz' All sources..... BUT, 30 minutes later it is still Running and saying 'Downloading packages', I have tried turning my phone on/off but when i press 'Cydia' again I still get the same message 'Running/Downloading packages'
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Hi, Regarding this matter (Below) it's now some hours since this happened and it's STILL 'Running' and 'Dowloading Packages) despite the blue download bar showing full,
    So my question is, Should I RESTORE my phone via iTunes?
    IF I do will I be able to restore 'Cydia'
    ANT assistace you knowagble people can give me I would be most grateful.
    Thanks

It's probably unpacking all the sources, I'm guessing you got something that gives you all Cydia sources/repos, ya because of all the themes people create and all the apps it probably will take a LONG while to unpack, and each time you check the changes tab. You really don't need ALL sources ever made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    It's probably unpacking all the sources, I'm guessing you got something that gives you all Cydia sources/repos, ya because of all the themes people create and all the apps it probably will take a LONG while to unpack, and each time you check the changes tab. You really don't need ALL sources ever made.
    Hey Piston597,
    Thanks very much for your appreciated advice, I'll wait a few more hours (Yawn)
    and see what happens, The you tube video said 2- 3 minutes (Duh)
    Thanks again.

Really no need for all the sources m8, will slow your cydia down massively when refreshing, just still with the community ones

You most likely added a bad source so it will be stuck at downloading forever, you need to go into phone via ssh and delete the cache data of it so it will stop trying to update it.

Thanks

Hi 'asnman' !!!!
    Phone stash via ssh ?? Delete cache ??
    Sorry that's all greek to me, Can you advise further?
    Thanks

Here read this
    How to Fix Cydia Repo Errors

Basically the gist is you ssh into your phone like logging into it and removing files, this should get rid of that infinite update loop you have in cydia, just delete the file with the source you had added.

Thanks

Hi 'asnman' Thanks for the info,
    I cannot do as you suggest because when I open 'cydia' the process (as mentioned) in these posts 'Running' and 'downloading packages' is still running ((NOW 10+hours) therefore I cannot do ANYTHING with 'cydia'.
    Your suggestions would be most welcome, IF I 'restore' via iTunes I assume I will loose the 'Jailbreak' IF so will I be able to re-introduce 'cydia'
    Thanks very much.

first open up sbsettings or multitask bar and kill cydia off, and then reopen it. and when it goes to update packages, hit the cancel button and start from there

Thanks

HI Again, I really am sorry to be a pest BUT, I have no idea where I can find these 'sbsettings or multitask bar'
    Sorry, I' chat with Apple and ask them to restore it, What a waste of 50 it cost be to 'JB' it.

you paid 50 to jailbreak it?!

Thanks

Hi Tiger, Yes I paid that amount, Why was that a lot to pay ?
    What are your suggestions to my predicament ?

Hmm which phone are you on atm? if its not ip4 then trying shutting your phone off to kill cydia then start it back up. your other option is to reinstall cydia as well but why would you pay to jailbreak it. You coudlve did that for free.

Thanks

asnman, I have a 3gs, 32gb,
    I ahve tried turning off the phone BUT no luck.

According to 'General' settings I have the following:

Modem Firmware 05.12.01
    O2 (UK) network

Hmm Ok i guess your next best bet is to rejailbreak it and reinstall cydia. Head over to jailbreakme.com and let it reinstall cydia theres a good chance it wont help. So restore back to 4.0.1 or whatever you have saved for your shsh and rejailbreak it.

If it turns out you need to restore and rejailbreak, it will get pretty advanced from here so please search the forums and read a bit on how to restore back to a firmware that apple is no longer signing.
    Last edited by asnman; 2010-08-17 at 09:52 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to asnman For This Useful Post:

Kalaharijack (2010-08-17)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaharijack View Post
    Cost of a jailbreak=free

Its relatively easy to do, as of today. You should restore and jailbreak again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Kalaharijack (2010-08-17)

Thanks

asnman..... Thank you for ALL your time on this problem, I have FINALLY found out how to re-boot this phone and 'cydia' is back to it's normal self after being stuck for +-12 hours, Jeeezusss, it was like being constipated

If it wasn't for your help I still be stuck So A BIG thank you from me, It's people like you that makes life easier from people like me.

SO, now I'm back to where I was this morning.
    Such is life.
    Regards and Respect

asnman., I did reply to your answer but it appears it didn't 'send'

So here goes again, Thank you for all your assistance, I FINALLY got the phone working and stopped the problem I just re-booted ( That was a new lesson for me) It was like being constipated ( GROAN)

However ALL fixed now.

So let me take this oppertunity to Say 'Ta' again, It's people like YOU that makes life easier for people like me.
    Regards and Respect
    Last edited by Kalaharijack; 2010-08-17 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaharijack View Post
    never pay for a jailbreak or unlock. We will help you do it here if you have any questions.

You're welcome Kalaharijack, I am glad you got it working ^^ and as Tiger says never pay for jailbreak, we will be here to help you as much as we can. Knowledge is power! and always support developers!