View Poll Results: What mobilesubstrate version are you using and what was your battery experience?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3226 - I downgraded and got better battery life!

0 0%
  • 3228 - I upgraded and got worse battery life!

2 40.00%
  • 3226 - I downgraded and got worse/same battery life!

0 0%
  • 3228 - I upgraded and got better battery life!

3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: POLL - Mobilesubstrate version/battery stats

Default POLL - Mobilesubstrate version/battery stats
    Please chime in with your mobilesubrate version, experience and battery-related stats.

I upgraded to 3228 on my 4.0.1 3GS, unlocked via ultrasn0w. Never noticed a difference.
    Last edited by kidblue; 2010-08-16 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Um.. mobilesubstrate and battery life are unrelated. Mobilesubstrate is something that allows OTHER programs to plug into the springboard. It's the /other/ programs that would affect battery life and if you want to get even more technical then these programs won't even affect battery life b/c they take up RAM.. not CPU cycles. The only apps that affect battery life are those that have a background daemon such as Intellicreen or Lockinfo... something that runs ALL the time.

I never messed with mine, but it is at 0.9.3288-1 I'm guessing that's the newest one, and I havae superb battery life.

Copy all that - I posted this poll in reference to the 40-page-long thread on reduced battery life. . At least a dozen folks on that thread made reference to a change in their mobilesubstrate having an effect on battery life.

Obviously, there are processes running in-and-around mobilesubstrate and the ultrasn0w update required an upgrade, so there's some connection there and if folks are going to extremes to downgrade their mobilesubstrate and reporting a change, we should be comparing those numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ultrasn0w is a perfect example b/c it runs a daemon ALL the time which is why they updated it to clean up the code and maximize battery life.

Precisely - However, when folks are claiming to have updated ultrasn0w (and thus updated mobilesubstrate) to find worse battery life and subsequently downgraded mobilesubstrate (keeping ultrasn0w 1.1.1) to find better battery life, something is amiss with that process.

something may be amiss with the communication between the two but not necessarily either one alone.

I don't use ultrasn0w and a week ago or so my battery life wasn't right. But now it seems to be fine. Monitoring it to be around 4 min per 1% lost usage.
    push off, notifications (mostly off rarely on), location services usually off, fetch 15min, i play with brightness based on inside or outside.

yesterday: 1hr 2min talking, 2hr 18min usage, 9hr 52min standby and was at 65%

everything in cydia is up to date. I don't have ultrasn0w.

You're experience is close to mine - I use the phone similarly and have experienced a similar amount of usage with ultrasn0w.

I just wonder if that real quick mobilesubstrate fix to 3228 didn't have an unproven bit to it that may be causing a process to run hotter, etc.