Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: accidently restored 2nd iphone with old backup of 1st phone. Cant backup 1st phone now.

Default accidently restored 2nd iphone with old backup of 1st phone. Cant backup 1st phone now.
    I have a second iPhone I want to JB so I plugged it into iTunes to downgrade the FW and accidentally restored it with a backup of my first phone from waaaay back. Now iTunes thinks my 2nd phone is my first phone.

I want to back up my FIRST phone and restore my second phone with these settings, but now when I plug in my first phone my options are to restore from backup (settings from waaay back) or register as new phone; which will wipe everything completely clean which is what I DO NOT want.

What can I do to back up my first phone in it's current as-is state so I can make a clone with the second phone?

Did I mention I absolutely HATE iTunes...

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I dont think setting your old iphone up as new will wipe it. It should be fine to do it then backup that phone as it is, then you can restore from that backup. You may want to make a copy of your backups folder first though (USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup on windows)just in case.

^^ it wont' delete my music? I suppose I can always add that back to the new phone...

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

It shouldn't delete anything by just setting it up as new. Now if you try to sync music or anything to it it may come up with a warning after that saying it is synced to another itunes library but you don't need to get into all that. Just right click on your phone and say backup.