Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: changing songs to 128 kbps?

Default changing songs to 128 kbps?
    Anyone do this? i just found out about this feature and decided to do it but it will take ages so sync =\ Is it worth the wait? is there a BIG difference between this and higher quality? I have 9/16 gigs used on my iphone so should i even bother doing this?

lemme know what yall think!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

A huge factor is what type of headphones/speakers you will be playing the music on. If you are playing it on the stock headphones or standard quality speakers in a car then you aren't going to notice much of a loss in quality. Honestly, for at least 75% of the music out there, you are not going to notice much of a difference at all unless you have a well trained ear.

As far as converting it goes, the quickest way in iTunes is to go into the settings/preferences and edit the import settings so that it imports at 128kbps and then go back to the library and highlight what songs you want converted and then just right-click and select "create MP3 version" (even if the original version is an mp3 as well).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

rivryan (2010-08-11)

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    A huge factor is what type of headphones/speakers you will be playing the music on. If you are playing it on the stock headphones or standard quality speakers in a car then you aren't going to notice much of a loss in quality. Honestly, for at least 75% of the music out there, you are not going to notice much of a difference at all unless you have a well trained ear.

As far as converting it goes, the quickest way in iTunes is to go into the settings/preferences and edit the import settings so that it imports at 128kbps and then go back to the library and highlight what songs you want converted and then just right-click and select "create MP3 version" (even if the original version is an mp3 as well).
    i agree with you and thanks for all the insight! just wondering, i if i were to convert my songs, would that essentially take up more room on my laptop? (if each song has a high quality original version and a 128 kbps quality version, both stored on my laptop). Just wondering, maybe it just strictly makes 128 kbps versions on the iphone rather than store them on my computer. thought?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

If selecting the option via the info page on your phones profile in itunes then no, it will only place the 128kbps on the iphone; the files on your computer will remain unchanged. This adds no additional room to your laptop but does take ages to convert and load them all to the iphone.

If want to keep the high quality versions on your laptop but put the 128kbps on your iPhone I would just convert a couple dozen at a time on your laptop in the manner I originally mentioned and then load them onto the phone after they've been converted, this take a fraction of the time compared to draggint the HQ songs to the phone and having itunes convert and sync them all together.
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-08-11 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Instead of lowering my music quality I have been syncing playlists. I don't use headphones so the higher the quality of music the better it sounds on the stereo in my home and vehicle. The playlist feature allows me to organize my music easier so that I can be more selective with my syncing. I also use iTunes Folder Watch to manage my music. It lets me drag and drop music to a folder it watches. Anything I add, it adds to iTunes. Anything I remove, it removes from iTunes.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2010-08-11 at 10:27 AM.

I did this for a few weeks and it lets me add nearly twice as many songs to my 8GB 3G. The only problem is that it takes 3 or 4 hours just to convert and sync the music when it used to take about 30 minutes at full quality. Yesterday it also started having heaps of errors while converting and stopping the sync half way through. So I went back to a smaller number of higher quality songs and fixed it.
    It really just depends on how much music you want on there and how long you can spend waiting while it syncs.